Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Extra Test: Best Software  (Read 528 times)
KA5REJ

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2005, 08:33:44 AM »

What is the best software to assist me in studying for the Amateur Extra License?
N2WMD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 09:33:29 AM »

Though not exactly software, I found the Gordon West Audio recordings very useful. I played them while commuting and they really put the questions and answers in my head. No a bad deal at all.
Scott
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 09:40:29 AM »

There's enough "paper and pencil" and "calculator" stuff on the Extra Class exam that I don't think software will be as useful to you as the printed ARRL Extra Class Study Guide.  You'll have to learn several formulas and know when and how to apply them.  The scheduled revision of the Extra Class pool has been postponed pending license restructuring, so the current book will be good for at least another year, maybe longer.

Once you are familiar with the material, there are online practice tests available here and on several other web sites.

There are other advantages to having the book:
1) you can read it in bed, in the can, or in the airport; and
2) it remains very useful as a reference book after you get your upgrade.

I'm a computer weenie, certainly not a Luddite.  But in this instance, there's really not a good substitute for The Book.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 10:50:42 AM »

use qrz.com question and answer test, 10 or 20 times a day, and when you hit consistant 80% then come here to eham.net and do the 50 questions, then 50 answers. also buy the book and read.  the reason for coming to eham is that when you take the real test , you do answer question 1 and then wait for the " correct, good job next" you get at qrz.  good luck.

I was a "two meter tech" from 1078 till 2001, (never was a novice, started  when I took the 50 question tech test and a 20 question " make up test" since I was not a novice and passed my 5 wpm code.  I never could get my code speed up so after 4  years of acitvity I quit being active, but kept my ticket renewed.

In feb oif 2001 I was in HRO oakland  to see what was up and bought a vx5r to play with.  I thought I'd try to get my general and started ereading the "book" for general, and found I could be grandfatered in as a  "OLD style " tech, so I got my self upgraded. a week and a day later I passed my extra.  I did qrx and eham to studdy up.  I guress having 8 years in the air force in electronic countermeasures repair, was a bit of a help.

SO now I am a slow code extra with eligibility in the quarter century club. so do what ever you have to to get up graded.  remember the guy who graduates first in his class fropm med school is called Doctor, but the guy who graduates last in his class from med school is also called doctor..  no one cares how you got it, just get it.. then get on HF and put up a fan dipole..

tom N6AJR

t
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 10:51:53 AM »

make that 1978 to 2001
W1SF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 03:14:23 PM »

Go check out hamtestonline.com, you will be pleased how it works and remembers what you missed.
Good luck Stu W1SF
X-WB1AUW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 04:13:11 PM »

Think you'll get more out of the study guide than simply practicing taking the test.

Have FUN upgrading.
Bob
N6AYW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 01:00:13 PM »

I just passed my extra this last weekend after studying via www.hamtestonline.com.  2 months of study and I missed 4 on the test.  I tried to study there an hour a day.

Highly recommended!
W1AI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 04:38:19 AM »

HamTestOnline is better than the QRZ practice exams because it helps you learn the material.

QRZ just drills memorization of the answers.  It doesn't give any explanations.  It doesn't teach anything.

HamTestOnline is more like a course than an exam.  It asks you the same exam questions, but it has explanations to help you understand the answers.

It's not free like the QRZ practice exams, but it's worth the price if you want to understand this stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: