Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorola Pageboy II As WX Alert Receiver  (Read 385 times)
KV4BL

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2004, 01:14:24 AM »

A while back, I was browsing and saw an old article by someone who claimed to know of someone who had sucessfully converted an old Motorola Pageboy II to his area NWS broadcast channel and added tone reeds for 1050 Hz so that it would activate when a severe wx alert was broadcast.  Unfortunately, the e-mail links were all dead ends.  Does anyone know of a source for Pageboy II's and chargers in good condition and if this is a feasible modification and how much it costs if it is?   What about other tone-voice pagers such as the PMR-2000?   Thank You for your time.    Ray Price  KV4BL
DAILYREGULARITY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 02:30:49 AM »

One more thing, I had my pagers confused just a bit. The article that I read was about the "Pageboy II".  I didn't realize until later, that this was a different pager than the original "Pageboy" put out by Motorola.  I would prefer to have a Pageboy if one could be located in good condition with charger(s) but the Pageboy II or any other similar model of pager with charger or utilizing AA batteries would be fine.  Anyway, the bottom line is a good rugged pager with belt clip would beat the flimsy "pocket-size" WX alert radios found in various specialty stores these days.   Again, thanks for your time.       Ray  KV4BL
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 08:25:25 AM »

International Crystal can do the frequency conversion for between $45 and $65.  But see if the Pageboy you get is the right range first.

Also it is not very easy to get a reed for that ferquency as it's not one of the two-tone standards.  You may wish to see what you can get on the tone reed first, since there is sno sense converting the pager RF deck if the tone decode can't be rigged.

This sounds like an interesting project but one which is probably not financially feasible.  It could easily end up costing over $200.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 03:22:29 PM »

"...easily costing over $200" may be true, and I'd be worried about the c. 2004 reliability of a Pageboy II, since that's a 30+ year-old design and could be a 25+ year-old pager.  Nothing lasts forever, and I doubt many Pageboy II's are even still working nowadays.

WB2WIK/6
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 10:44:09 PM »

I'm pretty sure you cna add this service to my nextel phone..cheeply
HOSEMAN292

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 09:22:54 PM »

I've done this successfully with the Pageboy II tone and voice pager. I believe it was one of the models in a white case although it did not make a difference other than it stood out from the black case which is most common.

I had to use a crystal for the weather service channel which is strongest in my area (162.550). I also had to obtain two active filters for 1050 hertz from G&G Communications in LeRoy N.Y. At the time, G&G would trade one active filter for two filters that I had no use for.

I placed a filter in each slot and tested it a service monitor. It alerted and opened up the squelch without incident. That's been several years ago and I believe I gave the pager to a close friend who lived near the Chesapeake Bay for severe weather. I'm fairly sure this would work with one filter if the A slot was tied to the B. It was easier for me just to add another active filter. Total cost was $13 for the Crystal from Bomar which included shipping.

Tim N3WIR
Silver Spring, MD.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: