Dipole Antenna 2-30 MHz

(1/3) > >>

Barry Mertz:
I am looking for a low cost dipole that will cover 2-30 MHz. It should be 100 feet or less. I would like to use it without a tunner. I used a B&W folded dipole when I was in the military that had great SWR but they are not in the budget. I would like to spend $100.00 or less. Any ideas??

Barry "Gunny"

KC8SXG

Darrin:
Folded, resitive loaded dipoles like the B&W are ok if all you're concerned with is SWR, and you can make one yourself for cheap. (spend part of your budget on the ARRL Antenna book). But I dont think their performance is all that great.

My suggestion is to get a spool of #14 wire at the LowesDepot and make yourself a resonant dipole for the bands you are most interested in using. A multi-element or "fan" dipole may be your solution for 2 or 3 band coverage.

Alternatively, do what many folks do and buy a used tuner, put up a random length dipole, and feed it with ladder line. Probably can do that less than $100 and you'll be much happier in the long run.

Allen C. Ward:
This is a tall order!  With all the restrictions listed something like a trapped dipole might work.  Do a Google search on "trapped dipole".  See also
http://www.smeter.net/antennas.
A certain W6 will soon tell you that a fan dipole will solve all your problems.  Except for the 100 ft. max and 2-30 MHz it would work.  A doublet fed with open wire or ladder line and a tuner is an easy answer and requires little or no trimming and adjusting the antenna (the tuner takes care of that).
ARRL has downloadable articles on various antenna designs.  An ARRL Antenna Handbook will also contain a huge amount of information.
Good luck Allen

Cecil A. Moore:
If you are willing to vary the length of your ladder-line feedline, a 100 ft. dipole will cover 4.6-30 MHz. Jumpering a capacitor across the feedline will allow you to cover 80m. 2 MHz is very tough with a 100 ft. wire dipole. 73, Cecil, W5DXP  
More information available at: http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/notuner.htm

Bob Lewis:
When you say you need to cover 2-30MHz do you mean any frequency in that range or do you mean the ham bands? If its only the ham bands then there are more efficient designs than the resistive loaded dipole. If it really is "all" frequencies in that range then you are pretty much limited to a dipole like the B&W or an antenna tuner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page