Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile noise  (Read 322 times)
AA5TX

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2005, 06:35:27 PM »

Are there any good articles on eliminating noise in a mobile installation? Where can I find them?  Thanks! Bob
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 07:09:31 PM »

Here is a great article on "Cleaning Up Radio Static" from "Popular Mechanics"

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/sub_care_sat/1272266.html

73 Charles - KC8VWM  

K6IPF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 08:44:46 PM »

Try www.k2bj.com    They have some good stuff there....but all will say; GROUND  GROUND  GROUND!!!
good luck....Pete/k6ipf
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 09:23:22 PM »

The ARRL Handbook. Any year after 1950.
WA7UNW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 10:45:01 AM »

Check out the Mobile Ham forum here.
Mike
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 11:19:44 AM »

get a hand full of self tapping sheet metal screws and a driver for the old electric screwdriver.   get some braid. go from neg post on battery to fender, grounds the battery. go from back of radio ( ground lug or case screw) to floor by radio, ( rf and electrical ground for the radio.)  go from the ground side of the antenna ( like the mount)  to nearby sheet metal ( I go from my ATAS trunk lip mount to the sheet metal under the rear window). ground the doors to the boidy, the hood to the body, the trunk lid to the body, you can even run on from the muffler ( catch a clamp on the pipe) to the body.

good grounds hepl a tremendous amount. then get a hand full of ferrite beads and put themn on the electrical fuel pun wires, the spark plug wires etc.

good start, see how it sounds and continue from there.  most of my radios will hear a bit of noise  when not on a station, but goes away when almost any signal shows up.
N9GQR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 09:35:13 PM »

You could check out the Noise Suppression page at www.n9gqr.com However, most of the information is related to noise suppression from those 18-wheelers but it's still good reading.
2E0ESW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 12:40:25 AM »

Go to K0BG's (Allen Applegate) website. Clear and well illustrated
E Swanepoel 2E0ESW
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 04:14:37 PM »

If you have an abnormal amount of noise in your mobile, definitely trace it down and isolate just what is causing it.  Chances are the part making the noise is either worn pretty much to the point of near failure, the part is missing its filter cap (or the cap is open) or it's a cheap replacement part.  And yes, there are cheap replacement parts for sale--one popular auto parts store in the New England area almost always asks "Do you want the part with the lifetime warranty or the cheaper one with just a one year warranty?  Go figure.......
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: