Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Ten-Tech a different breed of dealer?  (Read 452 times)
1DMKII

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2005, 03:05:59 PM »

Looking at their site I get the feeling that they are not a large corporation however their reputation on this forum seems to be very sound and their equipment writeups  feel like they are written by ham people rather than advertising execs.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 03:23:11 PM »

It's Ten-Tec, not "Ten-Tech."  I'd suggest reading and comparing equipment specifications, test results and reviews by users in addition to looking at company web sites.

Ten Tec is a US company that makes first-rate ham equipment, especially HF transceivers.  You won't find their products listed in the AES or HRO catalogs, as they sell direct from their factory.

Chuck  NI0C
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 03:58:23 PM »

ten tec is a company , made in the U.S.A. , and made by hams. They take a lot of pride  in their equipment, and fix their equipment as far back as it goes with the exception if they no longer have a supplier for the orignal componant or equivlent.

nice folks, and they have a buy it , if you don't like it , return it with in 30 days policy. not that is faith in your gear.  I am a recent convert.

they make good stuff, that lasts..
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 05:10:00 PM »

Well let me say what some others here have said. TenTec. makes a fine radio very fine indeed. like they stated you try it if you dont like it in 30 days send it back. i have there jupiter and there omni-d series b radios both great rigs the juipter has had sevral software updates over the years. that is some thing nice heck dont buy new rig like icom just to get some small extra features like the pro2 to the pro 3's. you simply download them free from tentec.

futher more tentec is legendary in the cw mode and well not bad at phone either. would i ever recomend a ten tec heck yea every time. Man with all the filter selctions bells and whistles it has and talk about super easy computer interfaceing you be nutts not to buy it.

now let me ask this one question what radio can you buy thats does what a TenTec does for the same price.

goahead look and research i wait a few years for your answer. hmmmm none you say your correct there is no better radio for the money none zilch zero.  do your self and America proud buy a Ten Tec. youll never regret it. and if your wanting to do phone on it may i suggest either Ten Tec's 706 microphone or bob heil's gold line.  hey folks that my point on tentec and i am darned proud to say it. jeff/n3jbh
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 05:12:56 PM »

And yes don’t be upset if there is some chewing tobacco stains in side.
The gals at TenTec are known for there chewing habits as well.
KI4DUK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 07:52:32 PM »

I had the chance to visit the factory last fall, great group of people.
They have a room set up with all the current radios, and a "museum" of the older models.
They are quite happy for you to play with the radios, and they have a small antenna farm out front.
Well worth the visit if you are in the area.
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 10:25:57 PM »

You will also find the staff ready, willing and very able to help you with any problems you may have. Opening a rig to see the guts and/or align it does NOT void a warranty either. The Jones variable filter is unbelievable. You will hear what a lot of other radios at any price will not. Their name says QUALITY and USA made!
Frank
KL7IPV
KD5FJE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 12:41:14 AM »

Ten-Tec is the best. My 1st HF rig [and only since] was a Ten-Tec Scout 555. Still going strong to this day. They no longer make it so it's lucky I got all the modules I need. When I upgrade to a new HF, if ever, it will be a Ten-Tec Jupiter.
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 07:20:55 AM »

Ten-Tec does a first-rate job of building well-designed radios.  They are proud of their products and stand behind them.  My main HF rig is an Omni VI (Opt. 3).  I use an Argonaut V for PSK31 and portable operation.

I've owned radios made by all four of the major Japanese manufacturers (Alinco, Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu).  Only the Kenwood radios have been in the same performance-per-dollar league as Ten-Tec equipment.  Only Icom and Kenwood radios have been as reliable as Ten-Tec's.  None of these companies have come close to providing the after-sale support I've received from Ten-Tec.

Ten-Tec is a relatively small company compared to Icom, Kenwood, or Vertex/Standard (aka Yaesu).  While that does limit their resources, it also makes it possible for them to respond quickly to support their customers.  So which would you rather have--a new radio every couple of months or a new (but well supported) radio every few years?

Ten-Tec is also an equipment dealer.  They don't sell anyone else's radios, but the do sell a range of accessories and some antenna products.  (It's interesting that, though Ten-Tec builds power amps, they also sell Ameritron amps.)  I haven't dealt with them a mail-order customer; I have occasion to stop by the factory on frequent trips to Tennessee.  However, I've always had courteous service at the factory store, and the prices have always been roughly in line with the street prices other dealers charge.
2E0ESW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 11:04:43 AM »

Ten-Tec is THE BEE'S KNEES. I have 2 of there modern tranceivers and 2 rx's (amongst 12 other tranceivers and 16 rx's for comparison!!!) .
You want hand made quality and superb support (even here in the UK) Look no further.
Orion beats 7800 and 9000(initial published specs) hands down!! No fancy colour screens BUT fuction, performance, longivity(flashable firmware), reliability and service backup to make the big 3 weeeeep. Sorry this is my 2 cents(pennies over here) worth only.

Etienne Swanepoel 2E0ESW
Bude
Cornwall
UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: