Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-430S problems  (Read 1027 times)
WA3BQF

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2005, 07:38:14 PM »

I have a TS-430S with a number of problems. 1. Blank spots in which the display drops out. I can hear a relay click when this happens and as I tune up the band the display will light up again at a given frequency. Again I hear a relay click and can tune to the next higher drop out point. 40 meters is in one of these bad spots and therefore not available. 2. The other question is regarding the cooling fan. Is it thermostatically controlled and therefore not running all the time? When I'm in the receive mode it is not running. 3. Also noticed that the 1 Mhz step function does not seem to be working. I'm beginning to think this unit is not worth the time to repair. Would appreciate opinions. wa3bqf@adelphia.net
KM4VR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 07:33:08 AM »

The heat-sink fan is controlled by a thermostat (I seem to recall it kicks on when the heat-sink temp reaches 130F.)  As far as the other problems go...I dunno.  I'm the original owner of mine (purchased in 1985) and have had no problems.  It's a sweeeet rig.  Good luck with yours.

-Eric
KD8GEH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 10:37:28 AM »

I have a 430S as well. As the other gent stated, the fan wont turn on untill the temp gets up there.

The freq drop sounds like a PLL unlock issue, not uncommon with the 430 and 440 rigs. Not too big a deal to fix. You can look it up on mods DK or maybe contact Bill KOZL at coorsbill@yahoo(dot)com, hes the master on fixing these things always will help a fello out. Let me know if I can help any further.

73  Dave  davemiest1@netscape(dot)net
WA7UNW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 12:08:24 PM »

You can also subscribe to the TS-430 group on Yahoo Groups. They have a lot of good info dedicated to the 430. Bill is the moderator I think. I am working on one myself that survived a hurricane.

Mike
WA7UNW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: