Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, am I a Marine Mobile Op or.......  (Read 267 times)
K4KMG

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2005, 05:06:11 PM »

I have moved onto my sailboat and am installing a FT897 and a High Sierra Sidekick. What I don't know, is if I'm considered a mobile operator or not. Certainly I would be Marine Mobile if I was underway, and Maritime Mobile if outside US territorial waters, but if I'm tied to the dock?  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tom
K4KMG
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 05:17:24 PM »

Well, according to long time custom, you're
mobile if you're operating a station away
from your licensed location while in motion
or at a temporary stop (the key to mobile
is that it can operate in motion).  A
portable station is a station operated away
from your licensed location, but not in motion
(the key is a portable station can be tansported
from one location to another, but not able to be
operated while in transit).  You are no longer required
to report operations away from licensed location
of more than 48 hours to your District Director
(formerly EIC).  Also, you are no longer required
to append mobile or portable to your call sign,
but it is the nice thing to do.

You are correct that you are NOT Maritime
Mobile, nor Aeronautical Mobile within the
waters or airspace of a country

I hope that helps.

73 de Ronnie

KE2SX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 05:19:15 PM »

Tom -

I say even if you're tied to the dock, you're still /MM. You are operating in a mobile environment, just as if you were in your car and parked. Still a mobile environment.

I'm not a live-aboard (yet) and I too bought an 897D for use on the boat (Hunter 33). Curious to see how you will install antenna, RF ground, tuner etc.

Gregg
KE2SX
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 06:42:12 PM »

So... if I'm operating w/ an HT but am in motion (walking, bicycling, on horseback, etc. am I mobile or portable? I would sign as portable as it's an HT, I suppose if I had a higher powered portable unit (e.g. a mobile radio and a battery) on the bike, horse, backpack, whatever, I might sign mobile instead, as I'd be more like a "typical" mobile station.
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 06:48:00 PM »

You'd be a mobile as a HT is designed to
operate in motion (walking is motion)
or at temporary stops.

A portable station is one, say like at FD,
that can be hauled from one place to
another, but must be set up to operate,
that is, it can't operate in motion.

All academic anyhow, as the FCC no longer
requires that you specify what station
you are using and you can just use your
call sign to ID.

73 de Ronnie

KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 06:56:56 PM »

Keep in mind that the rules, practices and procedures governing the use of Marine Radio (GMDSS) or General Radio Telephone or other Maritime Radio Services do not apply to users of the Amateur Radio Service.

Operating and identifying yourself as /MM is considered optional.

Any maritime law dictating whether your boat tied to the dock is considered as on "land" or in "navigatable water" has no bearing on FCC identification rules.

For that matter, I could be in a Suzuki Sidekick stuck in a mud puddle and surrounded by a body of water and identify myself as /MM if I so choose.

Your boat tied to the dock in domestic waters while operating your /MM station in the US has little relevance to any specific set of operating rules.

Maritime law would only apply to opertaing your station while abroad in international waters or while at port in another country.

Part 97 says,

"OPTIONAL DESIGNATORS"

"One or more indicators may be included with the call sign. Each indicator must be separated from the call sign by the slant mark (/) or by any suitable word that denotes the slant mark. If an indicator is self-assigned, it must be included before, after, or both before and after, the call sign. No self-assigned indicator may conflict with any other indicator specified by the FCC Rules or with any prefix assigned to another country."

"REQUIRED DESIGNATORS"

When the control operator who is exercising the rights and privileges authorized by §97.9(b) of this Part, an indicator must be included after the call sign as follows:

(1) For a control operator who has requested a license modification from Novice to Technician Class: KT;
(2) For a control operator who has requested a license modification from Novice, Technician or Technician Plus Class to General Class: AG;

(3) For a control operator who has requested a license modification from Novice, Technician, Technician Plus, General, or Advanced Class operator to Amateur Extra Class: AE.

(g) When the station is transmitting under the authority of §97.107 of this part, an indicator consisting of the appropriate letter-numeral designating the station location must be included before the call sign that was issued to the station by the country granting the license. For an amateur service license granted by the Government of Canada, however, the indicator must be included after the call sign. At least once during each intercommunication, the identification announcement must include the geographical location as nearly as possible by city and state, commonwealth or possession.

K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 09:20:00 PM »

Tom, just a question.  You said you've "moved" into your boat.  Does that include getting your mail at a new location, such as the marina, or docking point?  If so, you need to change your mailing address with the FCC.  Having done that, the "new" location is your home station, so if you're at your dock, you just a regular station. No suffex on the call.

Jim/k7unz
KA3RFE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 08:42:21 AM »

Since Part 97 does not require a dsignator as shown above, you don't need to say a thing aside from your callsign when you're on the boat. A bunch of hams who lived on boats here didn't bother with the suffix at all.

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 11:26:15 AM »

but they way I undersstand it the qsl you make from shipboard, weather tied up or sailing are all considered Marine Mobile ( or maritime mobile??) and do not count for awards for other folks. I had a fellow on one of the nets who was sailing around the various islands in the bahamas and not a single qso from him was "good" for awards as he was MM and actually has to be up on dirt for the contact to cound as thet particular place either /P or /M.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: