Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Fake TV antenna" HAM vertical???  (Read 5839 times)
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 10:19:02 PM »

I like that attitude!  It's about time we hams stop letting those darn HOAs push us around.  It's like living in a mini communist dictatorship, right here in the USA!
KI4NGN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 04:54:20 AM »

In all fairness I DID agree to and sign the HOA convenants.

I got my license (again) after I had lived in this home for years.

My perspective and point of view are that the restrictions are all about visible esthetics, not the 'fact' of an antenna. My current wire is visible, but you really have to be looking for it; it's not something that you just notice. I believe that this meets the intent of the restrictions. My perspective is one of the intent, and if someone tries to be a nazis about it, then I will use that same intent as I described in my last post: they can either accept my wire, which has to be looked for, or they can accept the ugliness of a very visible TV antenna, which they can do nothing about. I hope it doesn't ever come down to this, and I see no reason why it should, but I am prepared to deal with it on their terms, and I'll still end up a happy camper. Smiley

Mike
KE5BRE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 09:37:06 AM »

Good info here:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

KE5BRE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 09:50:33 AM »

From SECTION § 97.15 "Station antenna structures" paragraph (b) at the link above....

(b) Except as otherwise provided
herein, a station antenna structure
may be erected at heights and dimensions
sufficient to accommodate amateur
service communications. (State
and local regulation of a station antenna
structure must not preclude
amateur service communications.
Rather, it must reasonably accommodate
such communications and must
constitute the minimum practicable
regulation to accomplish the state or
local authority’s legitimate purpose.
See PRB–1, 101 FCC 2d 952 (1985) for details.)
[64 FR 53242, Oct. 1, 1999]

Pay attention to this specific part:

"State and local regulation of a station antenna
structure MUST NOT PRECLUDE amateur service communications."

Does this means that HOA's can NOT interfere with an Antenna for use in the Amateur Radio Service..??

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 08:15:13 PM »

"Pay attention to this specific part:

"State and local regulation of a station antenna
structure MUST NOT PRECLUDE amateur service communications."

Does this means that HOA's can NOT interfere with an Antenna for use in the Amateur Radio Service..?? "

In a word, the provisions in a CC&R contract, not State and Local regulations, apply to HOA's.  HOA's are associatons that are empowered by these contracts and are NOT the same as State or Local Gevenmental bodies.  

The FCC took the non-controversial route in PRB-1 by leaving changes in this situation to the governments.

So the solution is to not buy a home with restrictions  and, to support legislation to require provision for antennas in FUTURE contracts.

Dennis KG4RUL
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 09:44:10 AM »

By the way, you do not have to mount the antenna on the roof itselt. That 12 feet is above the roof line. For safety and the structural integrity of the roof you can mount the antenna support structure on the ground provide it doesn't extend more than 12 feet above the roof. This gives you a lot more vertical for the effort, if you're lucky enough to have a two_story home with a steep roof you might have enough allowable height for a true 1/4 vertical on 40 meters.

In areas with any more than mild winds, the satellite companies are now installing their dishes on free standing pipes or on brick walls rather than the root. This is because of too many problems with leaks and roof damage in a wind and rain event.

KF7CG
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 12:37:58 AM »

"Free standing pipes"?  That sounds like a great place to hide a HAM vertical! Smiley
N4ZYV

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2007, 12:12:04 AM »

Is there a definition included as to what "local regulation" is? Does it specificly say that local regulation refers to a governmental entity?

Seems to me an HOA is local regulation.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2007, 02:59:51 PM »

Fcc and court decisions have concluded and enforced that HOA regulations and CC&R bans are private contractual obligations and that as long as the HOA follows their defined and published due process they are exempt from any provision of PRB-1.

The OTARD and Satellite dish premptions are separate actions of the FCC.
KB5PQL

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 09:33:24 AM »

I told my HOA that my antennas were for Local HDTV.  All they said was "we can't tell you anthing for that" Smiley I now have a 2m, 440 beam with a yaesu rotator. Plus, an 80m dipole that works everything from 10-80m.  It's all been up for about 2years.  If they want to complain we can begin with 20 other violations that have occured within my neighborhood.  As long as I keep it "tasteful" no problems. tee hee.
KA4KOE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 08:58:26 PM »

Just bought a KMA50500. Works great as an HDTV antenna. Works even better as a ham beam. 8 DBi gain.
I have a homeowners association. One of the diehards has a satellite dish.

PHILIP
KA4KOE
W6ONV

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 04:33:09 PM »

While it is not the preferred method of going about this, I am going against my CC&Rs until I get caught. Again, not the best way to promote amateur radio. To be honest, my 2-meter verticals looks a helluvalot better than some of these TV antennas that are erected on the top of other homes in the neighborhood.

Although a small vert for 2-meters is not the same as a 24' 6-BTV mounted on a 10' mast. Still, there are many others in our community who are not following the CC&Rs when it comes to the registering or storage of vehicles, yard maintenance. So if the HOA is not going to enforce those rules, should I even worry? For now, no I won't.

In the future if I get a letter stating to take t down, I will oblige, but it won't be long before I have a 34' flagpole in my back yard flying the red, white and blue.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: