Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for aluminum anti-oxidant for antenna...  (Read 635 times)
N6DRA

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2005, 12:36:27 PM »

building.  Does anyone know of a good brand and a source?  I just need a couple ounces most likely, probably less but have struck out locally.

Thanks  '73

Tim
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 01:06:08 PM »

Noalox, available on-line, and at any good local industrial electrical supply store.  Your electrician probably has a bottle/tube of the stuff and will give you some.
KG6WLS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 02:43:43 PM »

Remeber this though. Anti-oxident inhibitors do carry some conductive properties. For example...one would not want to apply Noalox on a PL-259 and cross it between the tip and the barrel when connecting to antenna. Just a thought.

Good stuff though. Being an electrician for twenty+ years, it holds well depending on how it is used and applied.

73 de KG6WLS
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 02:51:52 PM »

In addition to Ideal's NoAlOx there's also Burndy's Penetrox, GB Electrical's Ox-gard, etc. One's probably as good as another.

If you have a Home Depot or Lowes or other building supply/lumper yard in your area they may have it in th eelectrical section, as should larger better stocked hardware stores, though an electrical supply wholesaler certaintly will, as should MSC (www.mscdirect.com) W W Grainger (www.grainger.com) or McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) and many other on line hardware vendors.
N5JYZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 06:05:28 PM »

Lowe's Hardware sells GB Ox-Gard in the electrical department.
N6DRA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 08:39:29 PM »

I'll run down to the local Lowe's tomorrow!  I asked at Home Depot and they looked at me like I had a third eye!

Hopefully I won't have to buy a quart!

' 73

Tim
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 03:52:20 AM »

Haven't you noticed that no matter what store you're in, if you ask a question, any question, they will look at you like you have some malady.  Any answer they give will be wrong.  I was in a hardware store and a clerk answered a page for the phone.  His comment to a question from the phone customer:  
"Drywall, what's that?"  
He was surrounded by trowels, drywall tape, drywall mud, etc.  And you are surprised that they don't know what Rid-ox is?
Allen  
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 07:23:48 AM »

I have found that for antenna applications, a better compound is high temperature disc brake grease.  No-Al-Ox, while it works OK, really isn't optimum.  All you're really trying to do is displace water and oxygen at the mechanical interface, and disc brake grease does a better job of that over time and temperature extremes than the no-ox stuff .  $3 will buy you a tub of it at any auto parts store.  I use it on every fastener and mechanical joint of every antenna I assemble.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
2E0ESW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 04:57:25 AM »

I agree, Disc brake grease also called "copper grease" is cheap and works even under prolonged immersion in sea water!!!
de
Etienne Swanepoel 2E0ESW
Bude
cORNWALL
UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: