Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What rig???  (Read 385 times)
KI4HBX

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2005, 05:03:26 PM »

I am going to get a 2m 70cm rig strictly for the house I will be using the arrow jpole antenna. I would like some opinions on which radio to get. I am going FM only on this rig. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 05:18:34 PM »

We need more information to be of any help. First some questions:

1. Do you want FM or all-mode?

2.  What is your total budget including antenna and feedline?

3. If you want FM only, do you need dual-receive and cross-band repeat?

4. What are  your interests? How will you be using the radio?

Walt N2IK
N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 05:19:58 PM »

I should have read your post more carefully. Disregard the all-mode option. The rest apply.

Walt N2IK
KI4HBX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 05:53:08 PM »

I have narowed my choices down ti the icom ic 208h, the kenwood tn G707a, or the yaesu ft 7800r. Help me make my choice.
KG4ROF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 06:22:53 PM »

I MYSELF WOULD OPT FOR THE KENWOOD TMG707,OR MABEY A TMV7A,BOTH ARE GREAT RIGS...HOPE THIS HELPS...73 DE KG4ROF
X-WB1AUW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 06:24:03 PM »

Did you go thru the  Product Reviews?

Left hand side of this page, under RESOURCES.

Bob
K8JDC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 06:34:11 PM »

In reference to the FT-7800, the FT-8800R is a nice step up.  (Forgive me for going outside your down-selection group).  I find that the 2nd receiver really adds a nice touch.  It gives you the ability to monitor your favorite repeater on one side and use the other side as a scanner, if you wish.  That way, you're guaranteed to not miss important calls if the scanning function stops on a busy repeater.  Or, you can just use the 2nd side to monitor a different repeater or simplex frequency.  I the two "sides" of my 8800 set up with different scan settings so I normally have both sides scanning but scanning different frequencies.  

I know you said you plan on this being in your home whereas I use mine mostly in the mobile.  The 2nd receiver allows me to do APRS on one side and listen to repeaters/simplex on the other side.  I just find that the dual receiver capability is a great tool.

In my opinion, the addition of the 2nd receiver is worth the extra cash.  Good luck and enjoy it no matter what you get...

Dave / K8JDC
N3PAQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 07:37:52 AM »

If I were going to invest in a new rig for FM base operations, I'd probably go with the Yaesu FT-8900R, if my budget could handle it.  Even if I was only starting with a 2m/70cm antenna, you could always upgrade to an antenna that also includes 6m/10m too.  A frequent contact I make on 146.52 bought that rig.  When sunspots return, even 10m FM can get interesting.  Basically, you get twice the bands for less than $100 more than the FT-8800R.  (Diamond has an antenna designed for this radio, for home use, you'd have to cut some radials, but it you can get near 1:1 SWR on all bands w/ the diamond antenna, and 3 1/4 wave radials on each band, a project that sounds fun, and fairly easy)

My next question would be, are you ruling out SSB and CW?  I sure wish someone would have told me to save my money until I could afford an all mode rig.  I personally would skip any of the above radios and go for a Yaesu FT-857D, even though I can't use HF, yet, I still get a lot of radio for my money.
KI4JMI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 07:41:10 AM »

I have an FT-7800R and like it very, very much.  Highly recommended.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: