Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your opinion wanted - Best CW rig for $1000.00  (Read 1271 times)
W8WZ

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2005, 08:52:55 AM »

I would like to buy a rig for CW work, mainly on 40 & 20.  I want to buy the best CW rig that I can find for $1000.00.  What are your thoughts on the best rig?

Current thoughts:   Kenwood TS930,  Yaesu FT990, I have seen a few ten tec omni VI in this range too, but those are few and far btwn.

What do you think I should look for?

N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 09:01:26 AM »

a good used ten tec juipter would fill the bill perfectly. i really doubt you can do better then that in the price class your looking. i personally fill the juipter is one the best radio deals out there for the dollar. jeff/n3jbh
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 09:06:23 AM »

i know i spelled it wrong sorry jupiter that is what i meant to say model 538 is that better.  but also for budget cw with some flare try th omni d series b or better omni c there cheap and good to. but by all means consider the jupiter please.
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 09:30:28 AM »

Omni VI

Paragon-II

Elecraft K-2 with the 100w option.  

73  W9OY
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 09:34:10 AM »

My vote would be the Elecraft K2. It offers alot of features for the CW operator, and you can save some of your $1000.00 for nice options.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 09:34:19 AM »

You can pick up a used TS-570DG with a 500 Hz filter for about $700.

You did not mention the power level. For QRP the little Elecraft KX-1 is quite a bargin.
K5DVW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 11:01:07 AM »

Elecraft! How ever you measure them, they're at the top of the list.
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 12:37:33 PM »

Elecraft K2.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 12:45:05 PM »

ten tec, call the factory and talk to them, they are all hams and may have a used one available, and sign up on the ten tec reflector, and ask there..
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 12:56:38 PM »

What are the criteria that you are using to judge "best"?
Bandwidth?  Current drain?  Power output? QSK speed?
Waveshape?  Freedom from spurious outputs/clicks? Built-in
keyer? Sensitivity?  Freedom from front-end overload?
Are you going to be using it for rag chewing? traffic?
DXing? contesting? Field Day?

These are all trade-offs, and there is no one "best" rig,
though there probably are several that will suit your
needs.  (But not the same rigs in all situations.)

Certainly Ten-Tec and Elecraft are good places to start.
W5GNB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 02:43:28 PM »

TEN-TEC, Any model of TEN-TEC !!!!

Anything else is going to be marginal in comparison!!

That's my Two-Cents worth!!

73's
Gary - W5GNB

PA0NMH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 03:03:04 PM »

Carl
Elecraft K2/100. Swapped my FT-1000D on my way to Crete with a German Ham on the airport of Duesseldorf for a K2/100. Never regretted it, he did.
Otherwise FT-990 and/or Ten-Tec Corsair II.
(I never buy new gear)
Mike PA0NMH
"I spent most of my time trying to improve the signals twisting knobs and missed the contacts" (W8AE)
W2MDE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 03:57:41 PM »

I can't resist the temptation to drop my 2-cents here. For me, this is a no-brainer: Elecraft K2/100 (100-watt option).  I've been a ham since 1965 and the K2 has been the most enjoyable rig for me, both from an operating and construction perspective.  Technically, it's a stellar performer and is suited particularly well for the cw op. Support from Elecraft sets the standard IMHO, and support from the K2 community forum is superb. An added plus is the satisfaction of "rolling your own", and ability to repair and mod as the need/desire arises.

There are no doubt many way you can spend your $1K budget and be happy in the end. Just do yourself a favor, do some homework and include the K2 in the decision matrix. It is a VERY viable contender.

Good luck!

Mitch - W2MDE
K2 #4445
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 04:32:38 PM »

Its a bit more than $1000 but if you want a rig for CW, then get an Orion. My orion was about $3k used, but it has all the filters installed and can litterally be pinched down to a100 or 150 cycle wide cw signal if you need to.  You can put 3 or 4 signals on top of each other and this allows you to seperate them in to 3 or 4 easialy read signals.

It also has a unique noise reduction you have to hear to belive. It has over a million settings for AGC and it has the unbelivable ten tec qsk full break in on cw.
It also has a true stereo output on the headphones and you can use one side of the reciever and 1 antenna to feed the left ear and the sub reciever and the second or ( third)RX only antenna to feed the right ear, and use the worlds best computer ( your brain) to put the signals in a line in your mind. ( its called diversity reception)

This is the ultimate radio for cw, and belive it or not I am  ssb person. find a friend or a store and try one, you will be spoiled and save your pennies  for a real rig. especially for cw. I haven't even mentioned the DSP, or the 3 memories for ssb and the three memories for cw that you can load and push 1 button to send, or the preset users selection for 2 of your favorites setups like 1 for ssb and 1 for cw, push 1 button and set it all.

I also have a IC-746pro, a ic -756, a TS 2000 a ft 930, a swan 350, an FT 847 ( mobile) and 2 ft 857d ( both mobile) and have owned quite a few others, ( ft 101e, ex, ee and zd, ft 840, ts 570 ( a great rig for ssb), ic-720, 730, 735, ts 820) and more that I can't remember at the moment.

for a 160 to 10 meter radio, all band all mode, the orion is the very best I have found. mine will go from 6kc's wide rx for the boys at 3840, to litterly as narrow as you need. it has a 2.4 filter, a 1.8 filter, a 1000 cycle filter, a 500 cps filter,and a 250 cycle wide filter ( these are true IF roofing filters.) and I can also set the bandwidth of my transmitted signal and the high and low roll of on it, try that with the yakensue.

this is truly an amazing radio.  If the orion went up to 6m, 2m and 440, I'd sell all of the other rigs and get another one of these.  they are that good.

so for $3000 or so used or $3300 with out or $3900 with the autotuner, get one new.  

remember folks I am a side band type and the ability of this on cw impresses even an old stick in the mud like me..

And they are made in america and when you call the company you talk to a ham and they use the product.  their service is legendary and they support their products as far back as they can , the only limiting factor is being able to find unique parts for the really old dtuff. call them up and talk to them.. you will not be disapointed.

ya want my opinion on a good rig, well there ya go. they money you spend on the radio is almost not the issue, if you get value for your $.  think about it.

tom N6AJR
NU7J

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 09:22:21 AM »

I vote for a late model TS940S, with two cascaded 500 hz CW filters.  The 930's are great but they're older and therefore less reliable.  The FT990 would be a good choice too but I prefer the 940. The K2 (100W version) would be a good choice if you're willing and able to build it.  (I prefer to avoid menu driven radios for my main, everyday contesting and dx radio).  For a little more $ you may be able to find an Omni VI, that would make a fine CW rig too.  

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: