Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help mounting my new antenna  (Read 335 times)
KI4HBX

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2005, 04:12:23 PM »

I am going to mount my new GP3 on my roof, I went to home depot and got a 10ft 6in peice of antenna mast, I am going to slide it about to feet down into a sink vent pipe on my roof is there anythig I need to do as far as grounding the mast? the vent pipe that I am attaching the antenna mast to is PVC. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 04:27:53 PM »

Personally I wouldn't put a mast down a PVC vent pipe. See some of the responses to the recent article.

At any rate it should be grounded via a wire with the most direct path down to a ground rod. The coax shield should also be grounded at the entry point to the house.
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 05:01:08 PM »

Well, like I frequently say, the Internet is not a good substitute for an on-site Elmer.  

That is never more true than when installing an antenna -- ESPECIALLY your first one!  

I can no more help you put your antenna up via eHam.net than I can help you wash the dishes using a fishing pole.

Call one of these guys:

http://www.k4cpo.com/NARC/Officers.htm

and arrange an antenna-raising party.  

Like barns, antennas are best raised with the help of a team of your local buddies.

By the way:  if you don't have a nearly 1:1 VSWR across most of the 2 meter band with your new antenna, something is probably amiss.  A local and in-person Elmer will spot a problem, or potential problem, in seconds.
X-WB1AUW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 06:42:57 PM »

Check the coax and connectors before you install everything.

I've heard of many hams using shorter masting.
I've heard of many hams not shorting the braid to ground where it enters the house.

Many times the masting on TV antennas isn't grounded.

Bob
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 12:06:55 AM »

Mounted about 10 foot of mast to mine, used it at various times for a ringo ranger, 2m 5 el yagi,and a ten meter ground plane. Simply bolted the base to the inside of the pipe. However I did guy it with "chalkline" with no problems.  
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 04:52:40 AM »

Before you mount anything to the vent pipe, get a good grip on it and try to move it.  If it is not rock solid, you WILL have problems with roof leakage in the long run.  When these pipes are installed, they are meant to pass gas (pun intended) and not serve as a structural member.

Also, if you are laying your coax across the roof, remember that Squirrels often like to use it for a 'chew toy'.

Dennis KG4RUL
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 06:07:41 AM »

Bob, I've heard of hams doing a lot of things - and a lot of them luck out and get away with it. That doesn't make it the wise thing to do. Check out the Polyphaser web site for to proper way to ground your antenna systems.

WA1RNE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 07:41:20 AM »

Like a lot of things in life, there's the quick and dirty way and then there's the right way.

In this case, a tower is the ultimate but is obviously more time consuming and expensive.

How about the right way, but for just $10?

Go to Radio Shack and pick up a pair of 4" Eave Mount brackets.  They will support a 1 1/4" diameter mast and will get your antenna about 7' over the peak of the roof using your 10' 6" mast.

Here's the description and order number:
  http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=15-883

They also sell a 12" version for larger installations requiring more spacing from the house.

There are heavier versions available from other sources. Years ago, I used a pair of heavy gauge aluminum brackets to support 3 element 10 meter beam on a 20' mast.  It stayed put even during the winter.

73,  Chris
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 10:17:40 AM »

No offence intended, but as it is always said, hams are cheap.  If that pipe is good and solid, why don't you spend the extra ten bucks and get the mount kit made to secure a mast to the vent pipe?  It would beat drilling holes in the vent pipe and chance weakening it and having it snap off.  Carrying your antenna with it, BTW.

Tha mount I am referring to is available at most Radio Shack stores, it is one of the last items they carry that is left over from their original stock line.  As I said, the cost is about ten bucks.
X-WB1AUW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 11:59:42 PM »

I think Ron can put up his NEW antenna, whatever it is (I assume it is some kind of omni for VHF/UHF), and then go to the Polyphaser web site to find out what a "safe" grounding system entails.

To find out about all the different grounds, he can go to W4RNL's site.

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: