Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: question  (Read 193 times)
W0FM

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2005, 12:32:34 PM »

With our business radio rental customers we use this configuration all the time and we shorten the power cable just as Lon suggests.  But the customers tend to want to get even more compact and (in spite of large orange stickers warning against this) stick the mobile mag mount antenna on top of the rig thus causing all sorts of RF feedback and audio problems.

Terry, WØFM
KI4HBX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 05:28:13 PM »

Does it hurt anything to have your mobile fm rig sitting on top of a regulated power supply in your shack? That is how I have mine and was just wanting to make sure this is ok.
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 05:52:29 PM »

Two problems come to mind.
1... The added heat from the power supply will cause the radio to get hotter.

2... The close proximity to a power supply with a transformer in it may introduce a hum into the audio.

If you haven't had either of these problems then no need to change whats working.

W8WZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 07:27:33 PM »

I dont think you should have any problems with a linear supply. A switching supply however needs the space to get air, and usually has air holes in the case.  
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 08:09:18 PM »

The Alinco DX-70TH that I use in portable situations sit right on top of the Samlex switching power supply. I use the bail on the bottom of the rig to give a little space between the rig and the PS, but that's about it. I run the rig this way for hours on end with no problems. I also have a dual bander sitting the same way on top of an Astron linear supply with no problems either.

As long as there is airflow around both the rig and the PS, you shouldn't have any problems.

Lon
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 08:11:10 PM »

PS - If you do put the rig on top, cut the power cable just long enough to reach from the rig to the PS. Less voltage drop and less of a rat's nest of wires to deal with.

Lon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: