Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interference from my GPS  (Read 289 times)
VE9SLB

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2005, 05:32:09 PM »

Everytime my radio is tuned to the local repeater, 147.315, and I have my GPS turned on, there is a great deal of intereference on the radio. Is there a way to stop this?
VK4DGG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 06:50:35 PM »

I have noticed interference from my Magellan Meridian on my IC706MKII in my pickup. It seems to be caused by the 12 volt power cable to the trucks cigarette plug. If I unplug the power cable the interference is greatly reduceed. I am not sure how to correct this, just wanted to let you know that it is not unique to your situation.

73's
Mark
VE9SLB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 07:43:56 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I don;t think mine is caused by the same problem as yours since I do not use a cigarette lighter plug on either my radio or the GPS. I found it strange that it only happens on that one frequency... I have noticedf this now with 2 GPS units and 2 radios...
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 07:48:25 PM »

It's usually a harmonic of the scan rate of the display, or, from the illumination switching power supply DC-DC converter clock (or sometimes they are the same).

If you can not increase the distance between the GPS unit and the 2 meter antenna, there is not much else simple that you can do.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 08:56:09 AM »

I found interference between GPS units and VHF (121.5 & 243.0 Mhz) direction finders in aircraft that I operated.  The manufacturer of the DF unit eventually gave up and quite selling the direction finder.  

I think the problem related to signals emitted by the GPS antenna.  Remember, a GPS antenna is an "active" antenna that draws power and performs switching and amplification.  The GPS manufacturer listed a number of VHF frequencies that could receive interference.

Bill.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 12:49:34 PM »

sometimes when I am on  147.24 and key up on certain areas of 20 meters I get a 3rd band on the 2 meter  rig only here and there so it is a mix of freqs. giving you a demodulated  signal from another band or freq
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: