Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ts520se trouble  (Read 239 times)
N1KHB

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2005, 06:39:04 AM »

Hi all,
   A friend's TS520SE was said to be blowing fuses during xmt. He was advised  by someone to replace the driver and finals - dubious advice without first looking further first IMO. He bought the tubes and asked me to help with the neutralization procedure. I put the tubes in as asked, hoping to do the procedure and found no output all. Didn't blow fuses, but didn't xmt either. I'm not familiar with the radio except for what I've stated here. Any suggestions/experience? Thanks.
Joe N1KHB
n1khb@aol.com
K3UD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 06:51:04 AM »

If it was blowing fuses a check on the health of the HV plate supply might be in order. Be VERY careful as the voltages in the cage are lethal. You might have a bad caps in the supply or the HV windings on the transformer might be damaged.

Simple things to look for:

Is the filiment power switch in the on position?
Is the VFO plug with its associated jumper plugged in and the jumper connecting the correct pin outs?

Is the radio set for 120 volts and not 240?

It sounds like a HV power supply problem to me.

George
K3UD
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 08:46:18 AM »

K3UD's on the right track, I think.

Here's some more info:

-The TS-520SE has a plate voltage meter on its front panel.  Look at it, when the meter switch is in the correct position.  With the rig turned on, what does the high voltage read?  (Should be in the 700-900V range.)

-Make sure the HEATER switch is "on," and make sure the screen voltage switch (slide switch on rear panel, not front panel) is also "on," otherwise you'll never have any output.

-Make sure the bandswitch is set on a band where the rig really works (you should be able to hear signals, with an antenna connected, to be sure everything is working on that band).

-Remember the TS-520S produces no output power at all in the SSB mode, or in any mode, until you do something else.  One good way to tune up the rig is in the CW mode, with a key plugged in and the key "closed" (short circuited), to produce some output.  The rig has a TUNE position which provides a little bit of output, used for pre-setting the drive control adjustment, but this output is quite small and may not register anything on a Wattmeter.

-Everything needs to be working 100% properly *before* you make any neutralization adjustments.  Improper neutralization will not create "no output."  Neutralization adjustment requires either a well decoupled second receiver, or a sensitive RF voltmeter and RF probe, or possibly a wideband oscilloscope.  It cannot be performed using any kind of wattmeter, as the normal output during the neutralization adjustment process is "nothing."

WB2WIK/6
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 09:06:02 AM »

hi,

To read the HV meter, the radio needs to be in
tune mode or in transmit to get a reading.

You can check the HV with the heater switch off.

Here is a great group to help you get the radio
working again

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-520_820_530_830/

73 James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: