Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: grounding??  (Read 224 times)
KI4HBX

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2005, 01:18:14 PM »

I have installed my antenna a comet gp3 about 25ft high on my roof using 1 1/4 pipe, I have ran a bare copper no6 ground wire from the mast through pvc pipe about 40ft to a copper ground rod 8ft long drove in the ground, my question is, is this a good enough grounding method?
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 02:25:45 PM »

Sounds plenty good to me.

73, BJ
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 03:35:25 PM »

that is a good electrical ground , but if possible run a second ground strap to a second ground rod for a station ground for RF, and make it as close as possible. it will also help.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 06:38:29 PM »

In addition to the above advice make sure all your grounds are bonded togeather. The 8 foot ground rods should be about 16 feet apart for maximum ground conductivity. Also make sure your AC panel has surge protection for 95% of home lightning damage is via the AC feed from the pole mains.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 06:10:53 AM »

You've grounded the antenna mast but you'll also have to provide lightning protection to the coax leading into the shack.  Check out Polyphaser or ICE devices for this.  Tie the grounds from these devices into the same ground rod as well as the shack ground and the AC ground.  Do a search on the archives here on eHam on Grounding and you'll get tons of info.  Phil  KB9CRY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: