Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ant Rotator: Yaesue or HyGain  (Read 325 times)
KW7KUD

Ignore
« on: August 11, 2005, 07:40:17 AM »

Hello all,

I am looking at purchasing my first rotator.  I will be putting up a Hexbeam, but I want a rotator that will allow me to grow (something that will handle a bigger wind load).  I will be mounting the rotator on top of a Force 12 LPT1242, so no thrust bearing will be used.

I have also noticed that the HyGain rotators have some type of RF protection in the rotator (at least that is what the AES catalog says.  Doesn't Yaesu have something similar?

Bill
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 07:56:49 AM »

The "RF protection" isn't really protection, and in most installations you wouldn't notice the difference.  In the older Hy-Gain/CDE rotators, as well as many others, it was possible for RF to get into the indicator via the control cable, especially when the control cable ran parallel and very close to the antenna feedlines -- which is typical.  So, occasionally, on some frequencies, and usually when high power was used, the meter needle would "wiggle" with keying or modulation.  Didn't affect the way the rotator worked at all -- just the indication, and only when transmitting, and even then not very often.

They attempted to fix this on the more recent models.

I wouldn't base any decisions on this.

The Hy-Gain design is 50 years old and works very well.  It's American made, with readily available parts for repairs.  The Yaesu has a more interesting control box which many (including me) consider nicer-looking, although the Yaesu control boxes won't "stack" on top of each other the way the Hy-Gain boxes will -- a consideration if you have multiple rotors.  The Yaesus are very fine rotors and there's a lot of them in use all over the world, but they are not American made and spare parts and service for them can be a problem.  Several "rotor experts" in the U.S. service, refurbish and repair Hy-Gain/CDE rotors, mostly because they've been around 50 years and there must be millions in service, while the rotor experts typically do not service or refurbish the Yaesu rotors.

Either is a good choice, though, and the model selected should be based on the load, now or future.

WB2WIK/6
KL0S

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 08:45:01 AM »

One big thing you'll notice between the two brands is the tremendous difference in weight between the units.  I used a Ham IV for many years and switched to the Yaesu G-1000SDX when we moved to the current QTH.  When the box arrived I picked it up and thought that they had forgotten to put the rotator in the box!  Sure 'nuff it was in there.  So I set it up temporarily and stood on top of the rotator to see if it would swing me around and it turned me with ease.

The rotator has been swinging about 10 square feet of antenna for seven years now with no problems at all.  I  particularly like the "Preset" feature and rotation speed control the Yaesu control box offer.  Additionally, you do not have to disengage the brake as you do with the Hy-Gain units when you turn the array.

GL -- Dino KL0S/4
WA6BFH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 09:25:16 AM »

The below link will take you to the web page of a rotor manufacturer that makes a really good rotor. It is tough, and even operates via 12 Volt DC. It can, if desired, be computer controlled.

That seems to me like a great rotator!

http://www.alfaradio.ca/alfaspid-1.html
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 12:09:26 PM »

I have lots of different rotors, and by far and away my favorite is the yaesu.  My best yaesu is a g-800 turning a 3 ele steppir , I also used a  5500 ( I think thats it) that does az/el for satalites,   I also have some ham II, III and IV 's and som hd 73's.  they all are about the same.  on those the top or bell is about the same but the bigger rotors have a larger( deeper?) base.

if using on top of a mast, use 1/2 the in tower rating. you could do a ham II or a hd73  or a yaesu 400 and be ok on the hex beam and a bit more.

check out Norms Rotor Service, do a search, he has used rotors and does a great job  on them, he rebuilds them and guarentees them
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 09:14:05 PM »

On the note of "RF protection" in Rotors.

I suppose if the rotor has a metal bellhousing it would be shielded thus protecting it from nearby RF fields. Similarly, your rotors internal moving parts should not generate noise that can be picked up by your antenna.

This would be opposed to a plastic rotor housing that is not protected against RF. But who makes such a thing anyways, Fisher Price?

"RF Protection" sounds like another marketing ploy like "Solid State" Besides, when was the last time you bought radio equipment that was in a "Liquid State"?

Good Luck

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: