Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BENCHER BY-1 IAMBIC KEY  (Read 391 times)
VE4HST

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2005, 11:28:13 AM »

i NEED ADVUICE

I just received my first Bencher Iambic Paddle model BY-1. I also purchased the proper 3 wire plug and wire to connect it to my Kenwood TS-570S.

This may sound like a silly question, but I will ask anyhow.

When connecting the 3 cable wires to the paddle I think I would as follows:

1    When turning the paddle over right becomes left and vice versa.  So therefore I connect the dash wire to the left front connector. Right?.

2.    The dot wire would therefore go to the right front connector.  Right?

3.    The ground wire then would go to the single connector at the rear (back) of the key. Right?

Now the important question. Each of the above 3 connectors has a lug with a small round part at the end of the lug.  I trust that this is the part where the wire is both crimped and soldered.  Is that right?  OR ARE THE WIRES JUST SOLDERED TO THESE LUGS WITHOUT ANY CRIMPING?

Thanks in advance for you help by reply by e-mail. i JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE i DO IT RIGHT FIRST TIME.

Harry Tapper

VE4HST
Winnipeg Canada

N0TONE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 12:23:36 PM »

Doing it right the first time is not the best way to learn.  You learn best by giving it your best shot, seeing what worked and what didn't, then adjusting what you did to make it work the way you want.

As far as crimp/solder versus solder, I've seen it done both ways.  There isn't a "best" way, nor a "worst" way.  It's a matter of what you're more comfortable doing.

Given that you have a concern about doing it right, I'd suggest not crimping.  If you solder without crimping, then decide to change something later, you can use solder-wick to remove the solder, and move the wires around.

AM
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 01:04:54 PM »

With the key upside down and the paddle nearest you, the "dot" contact is on the right and the "dash" contact is on the left.  The ground is the center contact furthest from you.  I soldered wires to the lugs.  

Phil - AD5X
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 01:07:26 PM »

And, given the currents involved, the attachment method is irrelevent.  I would lean towards soldering, so you could reuse the ring lugs should one of the wires fatigue and break off.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 01:21:30 PM »

Even though I'm right-handed, I find that I prefer having
the contacts wired backwards from what the others suggest.
(I'm not always one to follow convention anyway.)

But I had also heard the complaints from Field Day about
paddles not being wired they way someone wanted them: one
op always brought his special patch cable that reversed
the wires for when he operated.

I solved the problem by putting a small slide switch under
the front of the base.  It is held in place by the wires
themselves, and serves to swap the connections.  Anyone
can pick up the key and change the switch if they want to
reverse the dot and dash directions.
AG4RQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 01:50:11 PM »

I agree with N0TONE. Trial and error is always the best way. You become more resourceful when you figure these things out on your own. I bought my BY-1 used at a ham fest. It had no cable and no lugs. I didn't even know these paddles had lugs when bought new. I took a 6' piece of Radio Shack 3-conductor shielded cable, soldered a 1/4" stereo plug on one end and 3 lugs on the other end. You know where the ground goes. The other 2 are trial and error. Hook up the other 2 lugs and reverse if necessary. The standard is dits on the right, dahs on the left. However, it either depends on what you're used to or if you're a lefty or a righty.

73 de Mark
AG4RQ
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 03:06:36 PM »

"The standard is dits on the right, dahs on the left."

I think it is dits on the left (thumb side), dahs on the right.

Phil - AD5X
THERAGE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 03:20:55 PM »

Whether you're left handed, or right handed; the rule of the THUMB is DIT.

W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 04:58:52 PM »

I got my BY-1 almost 20 years ago.  In my haste to solder up the key connections, I managed to solder the DAH line to the DIT paddle and vice versa.

As I sat there looking at the base of my key trying to figure how I could make such a bone-headed mistake I realized all I had to do was UNSCREW the solder lugs from the posts and switch 'em.

Problem solved.

The moral?  Don't worry, just solder away....and have a screw driver handy!
AG4RQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 09:27:35 AM »

AD5X, you're right. See what I mean about trial and error? ;-) That's the way I have mine - dits on left and dahs on right. My post just came out wrong. That's what happens when you're rushed and try to post something on the fly.

73 de Mark
AG4RQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: