Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ultimate rain gutter antenna - will it work  (Read 636 times)
KR6N

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2007, 01:05:22 AM »

I work for the government on shift work over the weekends and I was itching to tryout my qrp rig while on duty.  A dipole would be noticed too easily and it struck me...  There is a 50 foot high brick building that has copper rain gutter in a square pattern at the top (40feet x 40feet x 40feet x 40feet). The gutter also conviently has a down spout, also copper, dropping almost to the ground where I can connect to it...  Does anybody have any idea what something like this would be resonant at or about.. Of course I'll try a tuner.  Any thoughts...
Ed
N0RZT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 06:01:21 AM »

Good morning,

Except for curiosity's sake, I wouldn't try this without a tuner - which means I'd try it once, but then would use the tuner thereafter.

Assuming solid electrical connections all the way up the downspout, from the downspout to the gutter, and all the way around the gutter...

As a WAG, I'd say it *might* be resonant on 160m (additional assumption - no other downspouts).  Using the same WAG, I'd say might be close to being an end-fed (multiple-of-) half-wave antenna on 80m, 40m, 20m.  That's good news, since it means the quality of your grounding system isn't as critical.

Chris
N0RZT/8
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 08:30:41 AM »

If you are a federal employee, I would rather you do what I  pay you to do. If state or local then I have no say.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 12:48:53 PM »

Whether or not it works, if you are on the job, then be on the job and save the radio playing for your own time - unless you have a long meal break and do it then.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 12:07:53 AM »

Do you work for the FCC?
K3JVB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 06:50:12 AM »

Your tax dollars at work Smiley
KB1GTX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 04:04:34 PM »

That rain gutter would most likely have a ground on it.
It still may work,just don't hook to a down spout that is grounded.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 06:58:52 AM »

"If you are a federal employee, I would rather you do what I pay you to do. If state or local then I have no say."

I suppose the people who feel this way use every minute of their working time for their company or boss too.  The guy says he's on a weekend shift--who is to say that his job doesn't entail sitting at a desk doing nothing except waiting for a phone to ring?

Ed is no different than someone else who uses his radio while doing his job.

Ed, remember the old saying--a bad antenna is better than no antenna at all.  Give it a try.  It just may surprise you.

WI7B

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 01:23:36 PM »

Ed,

You've probabaly already tried something (two weekends have passed).  I would suggest you shunt-feed the copper downspout.  Its all proabbaly grounded, so a nice capacitive shunt-fed tuner would do the job.

---* Ken

Now, get to work!  Hi, hi!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: