Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best carrier (shipper) for overseas import.  (Read 905 times)
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2005, 06:14:02 PM »

I'm considering purchase of a general coverage receiver (full 800 Mhz) from a reputable dealer overseas. With which carrier (shipper) is this "package" less likely to be scrutinized for exact customs adherence and duties fee ?

The Postal service or Fedex ?

I really suspect Fedex but Im not 100% sure.
Im looking for an usable answer (not chit-chat).
If you've been through this before you dont have to use yourself as an example - just say "a friend" did it. Please dont tell me not to make the purchase.
Thanks in advance. Ken
NA9Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 06:52:51 PM »

Without a doubt, use DHL.

Mike
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 06:59:56 PM »

DHL is NOT an option offered by the dealer. FEDEX or Postal is. Next person.....
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 07:02:57 PM »

So you want us to help you break the law?
And then lie about it?

That bothers me.  So I guess I have no future in politics.
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 07:43:41 PM »

you say it is from a reputable dealer, that being the case he would surely have shipped many items internationally, ask him.
     I have to admit though that your post alludes to the desire to avoid applicable fees. Why not buy it domestically and if you cant , hmmmmm ...
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 07:48:35 PM »

....just realized my post is not applicable to your question, disregard it,
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 05:17:33 AM »

If you are buying one piece of amateur radio gear for your own personal use there are no import duties. I purchased an expensive piece of gear directly from Germany a few years ago. They shipped via air mail and I didn't have any problem.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 05:22:30 AM »

....full 800 Mhz

I guess that's your problem. You are wanting to purchase a receiver that is not FCC approved for sale or use in the U.S.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 06:03:11 AM »

For the last 8 years (until just recently), I ran an in-home business. All of my shipping was done with Fed Ex (from $600 to a $1,000 a month). There is no other more reliable international shipper that comes close.

I've used DHL, the USPS, UPS, and Airborne. When Fed Ex says words like ...when it absolutely has to be there over night... they mean it. Not all foreign countries are on 24 hour delivery like most every place here in the states, but worse case is still less than 60 hours even Russia! If you're not in a hurry, their three day and ground shipping (which it isn't) is cost competitive with the USPS and UPS.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 08:07:16 AM »

From my experience with international shipments, I'd say, "Anybody except the post office."  Others may be luckier, but I've had terrible luck with the USPO on international mail shipments in both directions.

Let us know how it worked out for you, especially how you like the receiver.  My other crappy experience has been in buying electronic items from large, reputable offshore dealers...the goods haven't pleased me when they arrived.

WB2WIK/6
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 09:02:39 AM »

I've had real good luck (knock on wood) with shipping small packages overseas using USPO. The last time I checked UPS prices overseas they were out of sight by comparison and USPO (airmail) took only a few days longer. Insurance is another issue. The UPS insurance the last time I checked was nearly 50% of the value of the item.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 10:54:40 AM »

I, too, have used both FED-X and the USPS and had the best results with FED-X.

Now, having responded to your question, please allow me to address the "full 800 MHZ" issue.  If your intention is to get a receiver that doesn't have US 800 MHz cellular frequencies blocked, you are probably going through a lot of trouble for nothing.  Most US Cellular carriers support little, if any, 800 MHz analog infrastructure these days.  Most that still exists will be coming down shortly to make the spectrum available for their digital cell service.  My local carrier all but pushed me and my old analog phone off the system by providing very unreliable and poorly maintained analog infrastructure.

So, having access to the cellular frequencies will not gain you much access to the conversations going across those frequencies.

Good luck,

Terry, WØFM
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 10:55:05 AM »

You could always hire a WWII homing pidgeon. They are always reliable and there are no pesky custom forms to fill out and no excise taxes to pay.

Ok! OK!... I couldn't help myself...

N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 07:28:43 AM »

VWM,
     Its not like they don't exist anymore, you can get  fresh homing pigeons. It actually is a bit of a sport. Breeders (I guess you could call them "Homers" but that may offend) take their birds to organized events perhaps hundreds of miles away. They release the birds and then head for home . Often the birds are waiting for them when the arrive.
     They just have to be careful not to release them near a dove hunt or falconry meet. That can get ugly...

www.ifpigeon.com
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 07:56:39 AM »

Hay Charles, wouldn't a WWII homing pidgeon be a bit old to fly overseas by this time? :-)
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: