Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying coax jumper cables  (Read 754 times)
K3SRO

Ignore
« on: September 30, 2005, 12:15:42 PM »

Where can I purchase quality coaxial jumper cables at a reasonable  price? I prefer silver plated connectors with a gold tip.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 12:30:17 PM »

Try CableXperts
KE4ZHN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 12:51:27 PM »

Buy them? Get yourself some good quality Pl 259`s and some good coax and make your own. How tough is it to solder a PL 259? Its no wonder ham radio is going down the tubes.
NU0R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 02:15:41 PM »

Sir, that seems a bit rude.  How do you know if the other ham even has hands or fingers or perhaps Parkinsons etc. I don't know but then again neither do you. Why so judgemental without enough information?
X-WB1AUW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 02:37:05 PM »

I am pretty sure I saw some at this web site
http://www.iceradioproducts.com

It also has good info on grounding for lightening.

I have not seen any proof that gold plating has any benefit on PL259s.

Bob
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 04:36:43 PM »

ebay sometimes has some cheap.  or roll your own,, I use 8x for most jumpers, easy to bend and the pl259 with the adapter fits nice..
THERAGE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 04:44:23 PM »

<<Its no wonder ham radio is going down the tubes.>>

Cool it Ricky!!

Robert has been a ham about as long as I have. Has it ever occured to you that as some of us get older, it may be quite the challenge to hold a pencil iron, and keep a steady hand? Still steady enough to pound some brass though 8D

It's remarks like yours that kill the goodwill of ham radio, not the dumbing down.
WA6BFH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 06:03:23 PM »

A good reason NOT to buy them is, every time that you use a jumper from some different manufacturer or source -- you have changed the electrical length {not just the physical length} of your feedline -- and now you don’t now what that electrical length is!

If you always use either the same velocity factor feedline, or keep conscious track of different velocity factor (jumper) inserts etc -- you can then easily and properly engineer your entire station!
VE7ALQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 02:20:12 PM »

I agree with NU0R - how do you know if the gentleman requesting the cables is disabled?  I have some three foot jumper Belden 213 jumper cables made up to go between my Amp and my coax switch, the coax switch to my tuner, and the the tuner to a low-pass filter.  Intermittents were driving me nuts!

All the cables checked out OK using a continuity tester.  Symptoms were OK on transmit, but after a few minutes on receive the signal levels dropped by, like, 30 db.  Sending another 'spike' up the coax 'fixed' the problem for another few minutes or so, but it would return.

Just finished installing Commercially made three foot Belden 213 jumpers with silver-plated PL-259 coax connectors, and good-bye intermittents(!)  Kind of sad really, I suffered for 10 years with the intermittent cables that I had made up myself.

Am getting five RG-8x jumpers each three foot in length from http://www.radioworks.com with gold PL-259 connectors and gold UG-176 adapters for RG-8x coax.  I expect to say "goodbye" to manhandling Belden 213 for short runs within my shack.  Besides, gold looks nice.

73's
KA3RFE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 04:22:50 PM »

KE4EHM:

What IDIOCY! Some people cannot solder anything due to physical disability. I'm going blind and can no longer see well enough to solder anything. If you had made that remark in my presence, I'b be all over you. Grow up and stop saying stupid crap like this.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2005, 05:20:25 PM »

Of course if your antenna is 50 ohms and the SWR is 1:1 then it really doesn't matter what the electrical length of the feedline is.
K3SRO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2005, 05:31:49 PM »

Thanks to everyone that replied about buying quality coax jumper cables. Just a quick comment for the record, I am a disabled ham. I have nerve damage to both my hands, wrist, shoulders and neck. I also am not very proficient with a soldering gun or iron.

My special thanks go out to the hams who stood-up in my defense. I did not want to cause any controversy on the forum, but it seems to have happened anyway. I guess there will always be some people who are not very kind, considerate or thoughful of others. Thank you again for your advice. I have checked-out some of the web pages that you have suggested.

Sincerely,
Bob Wilderman, K3SRO
K3SRO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2005, 05:34:01 PM »

Thanks to everyone that replied about buying quality coax jumper cables. Just a quick comment for the record, I am a disabled ham. I have nerve damage to both my hands, wrist, shoulders and neck. I also am not very proficient with a soldering gun or iron.

My special thanks go out to the hams who stood-up in my defense. I did not want to cause any controversy on the forum, but it seems to have happened anyway. I guess there will always be some people who are not very kind, considerate or thoughful of others. Thank you again for your advice. I have checked-out some of the web pages that you have suggested.

Sincerely,
Bob Wilderman, K3SRO
KA0GKT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2005, 10:15:56 PM »

ZHN, it would seem that you metaphorically opened your oral cavity and inserted your metatarsals.

First, I am very happy that you are in perfect health, entirely without infirmities which could someday impair your ability to solder a PL-259 onto a piece of coaxial cable.

Unfortunately, there are amateur operators out there who either because of genetics, accident or illness don't have that ability. Some of those HAMS read 20+ WPM in their head and send at that speed with a sip and puff keyer. Unfortunately nobody has come up with a sip and puff Weller soldering iron.

So, if you are so incensed that an amateur would use pre made jumpers, instead of firing off flames, why don't you volunteer to make some jumpers for a handicapped Ham?

There would be a couple of problems with that plan...one, we have no credible proof that you have the ability to properly install a PL-259 on coaxial cable, and before you could accurately install a PL-259, you would need to remove your size 10EE s from your mouth...and perhaps your head from a smellier place.

DE KAØGKT/7

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2005, 07:37:59 AM »

Bob,

Jim in Portsmouth Virginia at www.RadioWorks.com does custom cables and connectors. Just tell him what you need.  Friendly people and service.

73, Bill
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: