Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dx and WAS NET LINK LISTINGS...  (Read 358 times)
KC0OHP

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2005, 01:00:48 AM »

Question...

Where can a person find a listing for
"NET'S.  For WAS & DX'ING?  Have done
quite a lot of search engine and listing
for certain list of was & dxing net's.

But some of them are only a partical
list, or just general information.  Not
much detail.

Looking for certain net's a person, can
get certain states for awards.  Also Dxing
nets for Dx Countries.

Anyone having iformation or detail's, on
a list of nets.  For WAS & DXing.
Thanks.  Hope to hear from someone on this..

Dwight...KC0OHP
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 01:19:31 AM »

For WAS, one of the best ones out there is the 3905 Century Club. A link to their site is at http://www.3905ccn.com/ They have this name because they hold a net on 3.905 MHz +/-, but also hold nets on other frequencies and on other modes.

Another WAS/DX net is the HHH Net on 40 meter SSB. Their website is: http://www.hhhnet.net/

When you upgrade to Extra Class, you can join in the Geratol Net, which is WAS net for Extra Class ops only! Their website is: http://www.qsl.net/geratol/

This should get you started. Each of them have different protocols, so the best thing you can do is listen and see how things are done before you jump in.

Good luck!
de NØIU

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 05:23:33 AM »

Dwight,

Two other DX nets are the 247 DX Group on 14.247. They start up around 4 pm Eastern time. The other is on 14.251 at about the same time.

Although I see nothing wrong with DX nets, be advised that there are many hams who feel contacts made on such nets aren't "real" because you didn't find the DX station on your own. The nice part is that their feelings don't matter - if the required information is passed between the two stations, unassisted, the contacts are just a valid for DXCC and other DX awards as any other contact.

Enjoy and good DX'ing.

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 06:03:29 AM »

Although this will probably invoke the ire of anti-contestors, you can probably make much more progress toward WAS and DXCC by working stations during a contest once in a while.  

While you won't have net control repeating your callsign for the benefit of the other guy (I always sort of regarded that as cheating anyway), you can sometimes make your 100 countries or 50 states in a single weekend.  

The problem, as always, is getting the confirmations.  But LOTW has made that much easier.  Many contesters submit their entire logs to LOTW after the contest.  Myself, I prefer the old-fashioned way--paper cards.  But it is expensive and time-consuming.  A lot of serious DX contest stations have US QSL managers, and that makes it considerably cheaper and faster to get a card.  Send an SASE to the ones with US managers, send the rest of your cards to the Bureau, you'll eventually get a slug of cards back.

Don't worry about being competitive and sending in a log, although check logs are always appreciated by the contest sponsors.  The other guys in the contest appreciate the activity.  You're a point and a mult to many of them.  And don't worry if you have a "little pistol" station.  The guys on the other end have great stations.  They'll hear you.  Shoot, if they can hear ME they can hear anybody.

All in all, it's a much faster way to work stations than the DX and WAS nets.  And it will teach you a lot about propagation.

CQWW SSB is coming up October 29 and 30--the whole world will be on the air at one time.  Set a reasonable goal for yourself.  Maybe 50 countries.  If you spend enough time in front of the radio, you'll make that easily.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 12:48:34 PM »

on 40 m the century club is on the early around 4 pm pacoific time at 7.238.5 and after dinner 7 pm ish at 7,233.5 and the HHH net is on at 11pm summer and midnite winter, (0700 utc) on 7.235  plus or minus qrm.

they have a bureau for sending in a packet of cards at one time, and can be great fun.. drop your call or hollor Contact  on breaks between calls being worked.
N0TONE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 02:11:59 PM »

Be aware that hams who attain WAS and DX from nets are known as "list lizards".  Not quite as bad as a lid, but along the same lines.  Use a search engine to search for the phrase "list lizard" and you'll get an idea.

The problem is this: a valid QSO, in theory is made directly between you and the DX or needed state.  The net control, unfortunately per standard procedure on these nets, provides a service that too often is a relay.  A real clue is when you here "when last heard, 53".  A valid QSO really requires the two of you to be able to exchange info in at least near real-time.

County hunters have nets - you could check into those and find all the states you need in a matter of days.  The procedures used in the county hunters nets are often more well thought out, and the contacts are always real.

As another reply on here said, it's very common to use contest to add to state or country totals.  In fact, that is one of the most common ways that people become contesters, to look for states/countries during the 'test.

AM
N4LI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 04:42:52 AM »

K0RFD is right on-target.  I LOVE contests for fattening up the country count on HF.

One addition/amplification... often, American operators will venture to exotic locales for the contest.  These are great; QSLing is a snap.  They almost always use their home calls for the QSL route, and, understanding that people are similarly situated to you, they return the cards quickly.

For WAS, contests like the ARRL Sweepstakes are great.  CW and Phone contests are in November.  If you cruise through 20m, for instance, you will doubtless find several states you need.  Even the more rare states (and really, none are that rare) will be easily found -- DE, WY, RI, will be on, and easy.

Oh, and one other thing... on contests, no annoying chit-chat is needed, just the exchange.  Just know what the exchange is; and with Sweepstakes, it's a bit odd.  Read the rules.

Peter, N4LI
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 05:18:05 AM »

<< Be aware that hams who attain WAS and DX from nets are known as "list lizards". Not quite as bad as a lid, but along the same lines. Use a search engine to search for the phrase "list lizard" and you'll get an idea. >>

Pure snobbish, elitest DX'er BS!!!

<<The problem is this: a valid QSO, in theory is made directly between you and the DX or needed state. The net control, unfortunately per standard procedure on these nets, provides a service that too often is a relay. A real clue is when you here "when last heard, 53". A valid QSO really requires the two of you to be able to exchange info in at least near real-time.>>

I have added over 30 countries to my DXCC list on the 247 Net and NEVER has another stationed relayed ANYTHING between me and the other station. The same for the three states I picked up on one of the other nets - no assistance from anybody!

I just love you people who look down their noses at people who operate any way but the way you do.

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 02:19:49 PM »

http://www.3905ccn.com/netsched.htm
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 02:26:38 PM »

one of the protocalls of the nets is that a particular piece of info must be exchanges, usually the signal report. it is a true qso, and no one will make a bad qso for credit on any net. its just like working dx, N6AJR, 59, qsl?? qsl!  a contact is made.

I enjoy the occasional nets in the evenings, and late nights too, and its a kick on the 160 net to work acroos the country, and you cna make friends too. I have had several folks stop by for the evening to work the net /p form my house while they were in California on vacation.  its ok. it can be a bit boring waiting for your turn on the list if you are not being called often, but it is low key and fun sometimes.  don't worry if the yahoos spout list lizard,  or such, if you enjoy it, do it, and to heck with them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: