Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dentron (Big Dummy) Dummy Load Oil  (Read 365 times)
KA4AQM

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2005, 12:57:56 PM »

Need replacement oil ideas.  What has been used in past?I've heard store brand mineral oil is good sub...ideas please!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 01:01:25 PM »

Transformer oil or dielectric oil is best, but mineral oil's a pretty good substitute and has been used for many decades for dummy load applications.

WB2WIK/6
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 01:28:50 PM »

mineral oil works fine
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 01:44:37 PM »

Search Elmers:  Cantenna  [GO]

Lots of dialog on this subject.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 07:55:03 PM »

hi,

Buy mineral oil at your local farm or vet supply house.

Gallons of it cheaper then the small bottles and without shipping charges.

73 james
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 11:04:12 PM »

If you can't beg or borrow NEW, UNUSED transformer oil, stick to (vet grade) mineral oil.  Don't use old or used transformer oil; much of the old, used xfmr oil was laced with PCB's, and you don't want to go near that stuff with a ten foot dipole.  It's toxic, carcinogenic, (and who knows what else.)
    Mineral oil is the next best bet.  Steer clear of auto motor oil, as the additives can be corrosive to the connections on many non-inductive resistors, and cooking oil will go rancid, and doesn't have the same flash point or heat conductive properties as mineral oil.
N0TONE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 03:35:01 PM »

Ten bucks for a gallon of mineral oil at your local farm supply store.

I once purchased bulk lots of transformer oil.  It was supplied by one of the big oil companies - Phillips 66 maybe - I asked them what it was made from.  They said they started with standard mineral oil and filtered it extra and ran it through a heating process to drive off the more volatile components.  They said this raised the flash temperature by about 10-15 degrees.

There is a new, very expensive, silicone-based transformer oil, but it's not used much, at least not yet.

AM
KG6AMW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 08:16:33 AM »

Quote, “Steer clear of auto motor oil, as the additives can be corrosive to the connections on many non-inductive resistors”. I Disagree.  An important function of modern oils is corrosion inhibiting. That is because there are so many different metals in a modern engine. If the pH is too far out of whack the galvanic corrosion can eat things up.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: