Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LINUX ham programs??  (Read 388 times)
KD2E

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2005, 07:56:08 PM »

A few weeks back, I posted a message trying to find out a good LINUX program to try. Well, I'm happy to say I'm now running with LINUX (ubuntu) and using Mozilla Firefox as a web browser, and Evolution as an email progam. All seems to be working on an old Compaq I had laying around...even the wireless card to my router is A.O.K.
Using it for this eham entry!
Anyway, just wondering if there are any "gotta try" programs for logging, PSK, rig control....etc.
I don't need programs for looking up resistor color codes, wire antenna lengths, just the shack/rig type programs.
Heck, if it works out, Microsoft may get a back seat in my shack!!
Thanks   es 73!
...Dave
KI4DPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 08:00:33 PM »

What brand and model of rig do you want to control? I'm not sure if there is anything applicable, but without that info, it'll be hard to tell.
SAIL_AWAY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 08:42:05 PM »

oh yeah, there is a pile of them you need to try.  unfortunately i'm new to it myself and can't tell you what they are!  i know "soundcard" is one of the various packages to use your soundcard as a TNC, and i know "PREDICT" is a server/daemon that runs in the background predicting satellite passes, and of course there are a pile of client programs that hang off of that to show you satellite maps and prediction tables and that kind of a thing.  then i know there are a number of controllers for antenna direction, and i think "pbpg" is one of the packages for automatically doing satellite uploads and downloads.  it's hard to say really, linux has so much code out there it's hard to even say what all is there.  and bonus!  it's all free. Smiley  and it has source code so you can make it do whatever you want.  AX.25 support is built into most of the kernels i think.  it's a lot to read about.
KD2E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 06:28:15 AM »

I'd like to hook up whatever rig a program supports.
A TS2000 is probably the most likely...or a PRO
...Dave
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 10:04:27 AM »

For logging I use jLog http://jlog.org it is not linux specific (it is written in java) and it also does a good job at basic rig control (freq get & set) and has dx cluster capabilities builtin. xlog is a good choice also and can be found (along with xdx) at http://www.qsl.net/pg4i/

For PSK and other digital modes the best choice is gmfsk http://gmfsk.connect.fi

You will also want to have hamlib installed. This will allow any hamlib enabled application (like gmfsk, xlog, xdx and others) to do your rigcontrol (if you have a supported rig). http://hamlib.sourceforge.net  

Alex / AB2RC (ex KC2IVL)
KB3JJG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 10:49:47 AM »

You should take a look at the "hamshack" linux distro, it's based of knoppix so it does not need to be installed, it's a live cd. Pop it in your cd drive, boot your machine and you have dozens of amateur apps, iirc there are also some rig control programs.

Here is laink to the project page

http://hamshack-hack.sourceforge.net/

and a link to the arrl story on it

http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2005/05/20/1/

It is quite cool!
W3NR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 04:52:11 PM »

All good ideas so far...this is my suggestion

1. You will need hamlib and hamlib-utils for rig control.

2. Xlog for logging and it will also give you rig control and a built-in cw contest keyer.

3. gMfsk for RTTY and PSK, will also interface with Xlog and give you rig control.

4. Xdx is an excellent DX packet cluster interface. Will also give you rig control. Double clicking on a spot will move the rig to the QRG of the spot.

Since you are using a Debian derivative distro all of the above are available via apt-get from the cli. Or you can use the Synaptic GUI. Make sure you read all of the man pages and docs. Also, Google is your friend. Don't hesitate to ask about anything you are not sure of or have a question about.

73 Ed W3NR
KD2E

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 07:36:12 AM »

Ed...can you give me a tip?  I'm sure I am just missing a step. I used Synaptic to install xlog.
After it 'gets' the program, do I need to do something additional to 'install' the program, and have its' icon show up on the desktop?
...Dave
W3NR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 05:56:05 PM »

Dave, synaptic installed the program for you. Linux does not create a desktop icon for you, you create your own. Its not difficult to do, once you know how. In a blank area of the desktop, right click and choose "create launcher", now fill in the blanks...here's  how

name: Xlog
comment: logging (or whatever you choose)
command: xlog

Leave the others blank, click on "no icon" and pick an icon for now. Later on I'll explain how to find the apps icons. But for now lets just keep it as simple as possible. Since Xlog has its own GUI, do not click "run in terminal". Click "OK" ...your done. Now go to >applications >accessories and you should find Xlog there as well. This was placed there when synaptic installed the app. Most apps add a launcher to the applications menu. I have never seen one add one to the desktop.

There is a patch being worked on that will create a "hamradio" folder in the applications menu and all ham apps will automagically go there. But, you will still need to create your own desktop icons. Personally I only have the "trash" icon on my desktop, but the choice is yours...Linux = choice.

Hope this was a good enough how-to...if not let me know. I'll be glad to share what I have learned about Linux the last 5 years. 73

Ed W3NR  

BTW this works for any app you want on your desktop
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: