Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hallicrafters Radios  (Read 744 times)
WA9FZB

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2005, 05:35:16 AM »

Jim (QY) is correct -- the 'X' indicated the presence of a crystal filter in the IF of the receiver.  Also, if I remember correctly, there were no receivers available as either with/without the crustal filter.  I think, for example, the SX-110 had a filter, the S-108 was the same receiver without the crystal filter.  Some receivers, like the SX-101, had no comparable model that didn't have a crystal filter.

All that said, the older Hallicrafters receivers ran the gamut from the sublime to the garbage can, depending upon model and condition.

73 es gud luck!
Steve WA9FZB
N4ZYV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 06:39:12 PM »

I ahve a question about Hallicrafters radios.

What is the difference between "SX" and "S" radios?
W3QY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 06:50:07 PM »

Hello OM,
The SX indicates a variable "crystal filter" that the S models don't have..for varying the bandwidth as I recall (had an SX-99 as a kid..)
Jim,W3QY
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 04:27:09 AM »

Not as far as I remember.

The SX101 I owned in the 70's had no crystal filter.

It had an IF stage around 1700kHz with LC transformers and a 50 kHz IF that had LC filters and a LC notch.

I don't think it is correct to say all X models had crytal filters.

73 Tom

W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 04:56:53 AM »

I just had a look at my SX 117, and like the SX 101 it has no crystal filter either.

As far as I recall the X models were generally more deluxe models but didn't necessarily have any particular universal features based on having the X.

Some X's were Ham band only, some were not. Some had crystal filters, some did not. Some S-'s had the same features as X's, but were a bit cheaper.

But the X definately does not universally signify a xtal filter.

73 Tom
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 10:38:02 AM »

I just sent an e-mail to Chuck Dachis, "The Hallicrafters Collector," asking this question.

He'll probably answer, but it may take a few days.

If anybody would know the answer to this, Chuck would.

His website:

http://www.hallicraftercollector.com/

WB2WIK/6
N4ZYV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 10:49:03 AM »

Thanks for the replies fellows. As I mentioned earlier, I'm getting back into HF. None of my old radios has general coverage for the receiver. I remember my old SX-110 and really liked that big box and wanted to get another old receiver.

Thought if I was going to get one, I should know better what I am doing (for a change). I figure its hard to go wrong buying a Hallicrafters, but wanted to get as good a radio as I can. If the SX radios are a bit better due to features or design, I want to know that.

In all likelyhood, I'll be getting another SX-110 since I am familiar with that model and liked it.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 01:58:13 PM »

I had an SX-110 and thought it was pretty good until I used a "real" receiver.  I later had an SX-101A, an NC-303 and a Drake 2B and all three of these were far better than the SX-110.  The SX-110 was the very low-end of the "ham bands only" Halli receivers of the early 1960s.  The SX-101 family, the SX-115 and of course the famous SX-88 (rare) blow it away in every respect except these latter three are also a lot heavier to pick up and carry around!

All depends on what you compare to what.  My first receiver as a Novice was an S-120 c. 1961 and was G-dawful.  Compared to that, the SX-110 was stellar!

Anyway, I *might* have the "X" mystery unraveled -- maybe.  I did contact Chuck "The Hallicrafters Man" Dachis, who owns the largest collection of Hallicrafters equipment in the world and has a showroom/museum of Hallicrafters gear, about this.  His reply:

Hi Steve,

As far as I know the roomers are correct. The "X" in the model number means that there is a factory installed crystal filter.

Chuck

Of course, Chuck can't spell "rumor," but I trust his knowledge about Hallicrafters stuff, after all he owns everything they ever built.  (He also has the manuals, etc for most of it.)

Tom W8JI said "no xtal filter" in some of his Halli "X" models, but I wonder if Tom was looking for a multi-crystal lattice filter (maybe).  If Halli used just a single crystal or two in a simple bandpass filter that's not so readily identified, they might still call that a "crystal filter" without it being a very good one.  I don't have the schematics for any of this old stuff, nor the time to go dig for them -- some are probably on BAMA.

WB2WIK/6
N4ZYV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 02:31:18 PM »

Could have sworn the 110 was a general coverage radio. But it has been a LONG time since I had it.

Guess I'll have to look for something else.
Thanks for all the help.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 05:44:46 PM »

I also think the 110 was general coverage.  I had an SX-111, which was ham bands only.  I got it as a present for making the honor roll all the way through my sophomore year of high school.  It was a dandy receiver for its day.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 08:24:01 PM »

No, I did not make a mistake. There is absolutely NO crystal filter in my SX101 and none in my SX117 either.

Looking at schematics and manuals I have, the SX111 has no crystal filter either. Neither does the SX115.

No crystal notch filter, no crystal bandpass filter, no single pole crystal, and not any type of crystal associated with selectivity or notching in any way in any of the above, so the correct answer absolutely is that the "X" very clearly without any shadow of a doubt does not indicate a crystal filter in every model. As a matter of fact there are at least 7 SX models I can find that do not have crystals anywhere in the system for selectivity.  

X very clearly and positively does not mean crystal filter.

73 Tom

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 10:58:48 AM »

Tom, the problem is, those radios used to have crystal filters, but they removed them and left an "X" to mark the space where the filter used to be....

I can write children's stories, too.  Working on one now since Tookie isn't writing any more.

Happy Holidays, and we'll get to the root of the "X" story one day, probably.

Maybe Malcom X has something to do with it.

Okay, I'll stop.

WB2WIK/6

W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 01:00:54 PM »

Merry Christmas Steve.

As far as I know the X merely was generally assigned to the better quality or more deluxe receivers. If the same basic model had a cheap offshoot model, it would be an S some times. There was no particular significance beyond that.

Even that is open to debate, because the SX 99 was not so hot.

It certainly has nothing to do with a crystal filter.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: