Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KENWOOD TS480SAT  (Read 299 times)
VE7ABC

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2005, 10:53:06 AM »

I've read all the reviews on this rig here at eham.
I'm a little puzzled though about the transmitted audio.  Many reviews state that the transmitted audio is of KENWOOD quality, but one recent review stated that he got back reports of "thin" audio.
I'd like to hear back from those of you that own this rig and let me know of your own on air experience.
I've got a chance to purchase either the TS480SAT or the TS850SAT.  I know that the 850 has excellant transmit and receive audio, but the newer 480 is very appealling.
If you want, you can email me at home.
73..es..tnx..Graham
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 11:45:44 AM »

I own the 850SAT and not the 480SAT; but I've "used" the 480SAT a few times, including a lengthy try-out at HRO where I gave it about an hour's worth of exercise.

For home station operation (and not portable or mobile), the choice is clear, I strongly prefer the TS-850SAT.  It has more features, a better PUI (front panel) and eight filters in two I.F.s, all independently selectable.  DSP's great, but hard-line crystal filters are better when the room's available for them.  Of course, the 850SAT does not cover six meters.

True, the 850S is reknown for having absolutely excellent transmitted audio (modulation) characteristics, and sounds great with almost any kind of microphone.  But the 480S's I've heard on the air mostly sound very good, too, once the users adjusted them properly.  Problem with options and menus is there are lots of ways to use the rigs improperly and it can take some experimenting to get it right.  The 850S is simpler: Plug in a mike, adjust the mike gain, and go.

For portable or mobile work, the choice is clearly in favor of the 480SAT.  The 850's too big and heavy for mobile work.

Hard to put these in the same category.  The 480S new is only about $1000 or so, in 2005 dollars.  The 850SAT was $1500 in 1990 dollars, or the equivalent of about $2500 today.  Quite a difference.  The "equivalent" of a TS-850SAT today would be something like an IC-756PROIII, especially since the "real" equivalent, which was the TS-870S, isn't on the market any longer.

WB2WIK/6

W4RUO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 03:01:39 PM »

I have a TS480HX in my truck for almost a year now. It is very easy to operate and puts out a very good signal.  The only thing I have done to it is to go to the Kenwood web site and download a firmware update for the 480.  I did that and it is easy and makes for the tramsmitted audio to have a lot more authority as well as the usual good "Kenwood audio" sound.  There must be a reason so many people talk about the Kenwood audio as a reference. 73 Ziggy
HB9PJT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 08:48:29 AM »

My TS-480 is sounding great and I get a lot of compliments for the modulation. While I know the TS-850 is a very good radio I would chooce the TS-480. It is a more modern design with very good numbers for the RX, has a DSP built in, a good IF crystal filter, a perfect sounding RX and two antenna ports which are supported by the antenna tuner which has memories for both antennas for each band. In case of a problem I am not sure if the parts still are available for the 850. That should be no question for the TS-480. Also the TS-480 is the more universal design for home, mobile and portable use.

73, Peter - HB9PJT
VE7ABC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 06:21:02 AM »

Thanks to those of you who replied.
73..es..Merry Christmas.
VE7ABC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: