Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK TO LEAVE HT IN CAR FOR A FEW COLD DAYS ?  (Read 288 times)
KC2MPG

Ignore
« on: December 23, 2005, 06:39:34 PM »

Is it ok to leave my HT in the car for a few days when its about 10F ?
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 06:46:11 PM »

Hi,

Try to avoid that if possible,
some liquid crystal diaplays can
be damaged from freezing.

73 james
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 08:24:45 PM »

John,

Go ahead and leave it in the car. You still live at 32 Lynwood Rd, Scarsdale, NY right?
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 09:43:03 PM »

Keep in mind that when you order ANY radio (even a $10,000 on) in the middle of winter, whatever way it's shipped to you is probably NOT heated.  And what about mobile rigs hardwired into vehicles where the temperature drops below freezing.  Or heck, guys who are out IN the cold weather wearing their HT on their belts.

It would be best to keep it inside, but you aren't going to ruin it.
VE6BGM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 11:58:26 PM »

I have left a Kenwood TH-D7AG in a vehicle for 4 years.  It has been in the vehicle when the inside temp. hits 100'F+ and when it has been as low as minus 30'F [for a couple of days in a row].  Hasn't affected it at all.  Still working on APRS, and on monitoring a UHF repeater about 40 miles away using a 1/4 wave mag mount.  Only thing that might be different is it is connected to the DC charger and not running on it's own battery [which may have reduced operating time in the cold].  If one can avoid leaving it in the cold, probably better.  One thing I don't have to do is look at the display, but have noticed some small reduction in sharpness on displays on other HTs when in the cold.  In some respects, I wonder how much more harm can be done by moving an HT from a warm environment into a cold environment, or vice versa, on a regular basis?  Things sure fog up when things are brought into a warm environment from a cold one.
Good luck and Seasons Greetings.
Bob
VE6BGM, Calgary, Alberta
2E0JHA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 03:20:43 AM »

NOIU has made a very good point, Especially after posting on the net. Better to be safe than sorry, take it in.
all the best
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 07:55:29 AM »

Mobile rigs with LCDs stay in cars all the time. The display may be very dim and washed out until you get the temperature up but I've never seen one permanently damaged.
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 02:19:41 PM »

Cold-soaking tends to stress things. If there are marginal solder joints, they may open up as the metal contracts. The batteries could freeze, or simply expand, promoting leakage/damage in the future. The LCD display may not be damaged--old ones died in the cold, you'd need to read your "storage" specs to get a better idea.

But overall, cold-soaking stresses everything. And when you do turn it on, those batteries will have very little power in them--until they warm up again, which could be 4? more? hours.

Or, it could be stolen (smash-n-grab) or stolen with the car (happens, right?).

Then again, if you take it inside, you could always drop it on the way back and forth.<G> Overall I'd say not to worry but taking it inside should be safer. Especially if you're looking at heading someplace where 10F is predicted but colder temps easily possible.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2005, 08:56:29 AM »

One other thing, everything gets more brittle in the cold.  Even though the cold may not affect the LCD display directly, it may be more likely to break if the radio is dropped or something is dropped on it.  Mobile rigs don't have this problem usually, unless something comes at them from the front or the side.   Even though you may be careful, things happen--better safe than sorry!
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2005, 10:04:02 AM »

Many, many moons ago when I was a
detective, I had a GE PE with a
"jump and run" when I was off,
I just pulled it outta the
charger and left it on the seat.
Technology has probably improved
since the 1970s.

No problems winter, nor summer.

Happy Holidaze!

73 de Ronnie
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 01:52:47 AM »

At least with current display technology, the only effect is that the display will tend to be more sluggish in the cold, (the display updates at a slower rate,) and possibly  slightly lower contrast.  The rest of the circuitry should still perform well, and will mostly depend upon the batteries in use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: