Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anntenna Pros and Cons  (Read 681 times)
W8RID

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2008, 12:28:23 PM »

First of all, Thanks to everyone that replied to my previous post about antennas.

I have narrowed it down to 2 selections:

Mosley Mini-33A or Mini-33A WARC

or a Hex Beam

Can I get your views on the pros and cons of these antennas. I am hearing good things about both. What i would like is if you use one of these please send my why you like it and what problems you have had with them and how you fixed/delt with that problem.

Your input will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Bob
W8RID
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 01:52:18 PM »

First, I'd call Mosley to see if they have either one of their models "in stock for immediate shipment," like "today."  If not, I'd think about something else because their delivery history is not good -- many complaints on the air and all over the internet about people waiting 2-3-4 months for delivery and never really being sure when they're going to get anything.

But, if they have it "in stock" and can ship "today," then that's another story.

The Mosley "mini" beams are very similar to the Cushcraft MA-5B which is also a "mini" beam for five bands.  In fact, these products are extremely similar.  One difference is that Cushcraft has many distributors and one of them is likely to have it in stock, so if I wanted one I might be able to get it tomorrow and not wait 4 months for it.

The Traffie HexBeam HX5Bi is an excellent product.  I'm not sure about their delivery status, either -- and I'd recommend you check this.  But the HX5Bi HexBeam, unlike the "mini" beams from Mosley or Cushcraft, has full gain on all five bands 20-17-15-12-10 meters.  The mini beams from M and CC only have some gain on 10-15-20 meters and zero gain (just a rotary dipole) on 12 and 17.  It makes a difference.  The HexBeam definitely works better on 12 and 17, has a front-to-back ratio and gain.

The HexBeam is also small, lightweight, easy to build, low wind loading and requires absolutely no adjustments.

If it were my choice I'd go for the HexBeam; however, again, I'd check delivery for that one also because I'm not the type to order and wait.

WB2WIK/6
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 02:31:00 PM »

Looks like they are working on more emergency mil orders....as of 8-5-08

you would think with all this business they could
get some financing and ramp up their operations
to get these sold orders shipped.

too bad they have long delays

Cancellations: Credit Card orders which are cancelled prior to shipment may be subject to a processing fee of up to 8%.

Notice: We are still working on some more emergency military antenna orders. These orders have the highest priority.

Due to this the amateur production line is running a little behind. This has effected the tenitive shipping dates by about 9 days. We are sorry if this causes you any inconvenience. We appreciate your patience with this situation.

NOTE: We are updating our web site. While this is going on there might be some links that are not working. Please bear with us until they get the update is completed. Thanks!
AI4NS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 09:45:15 PM »

You can also build one for a whole lot less than buying one:

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/

Mike
AI4NS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: