Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUV Noise Comparisons for HF Operation  (Read 623 times)
W6MW

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2001, 02:35:45 PM »

Hello all...

I'm currently driving a Ford Explorer LTD, which generates an enormous amount of RF Noise.  Since the Writers are apparently not striking, I find myself with the funds to buy a new SUV - preferrably one that is a bit more fuel economical.

Under consideration are the Ford Escape (Mazda), Honda CRV, and the Toyota RAV-4.  Anyone have positive or negative experiences with any of these in regards to RF Noise?  The Escape might be a possibility because the Ford Dealer is close by for servicing purposes, but I am concerned with my prior experience with Ford Products.

Thanks for any suggestions or opinions you might offer.

73 de Mark
W6MW
Glendale, CA
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2001, 05:17:13 PM »

Don't consider buying a Chevy Tahoe...  I have a 1996 model and you can not even listen to LOCAL stations on the Factory installed AM radio thanks to all the noise.  The GM dealers I have talked to say that no one cares about AM radio anymore and there is nothing they can do to cure the problem.  I can't believe I am the only one still listening to AM radio.  As for my ham gear, I do get some minor ignition noise on two meters and 222 mHz, but it is tolerable.  I can only imagine how bad HF operation might be since my "Standard AM" is not listenable.  Tom-KR4BD
W6MW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2001, 05:27:27 PM »

Thanks for the input on the Tahoe, Tom.  Ford Explorer has the same problem when you tune the AM Radio to an unused freq or a distant station.  

I too listen to AM radio... why listen to FM when you can play your own favorite CD's?  

Thanks again es 73 de Mark
W6MW
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2001, 01:10:18 AM »

Well, I think you may have overlooked the really first SUV, the Dodge/Chrysler minivan. Lots of room, all wheel drive capability available and really no noise to worry about. Has all the features of the SUVs on the market and no bad habits that I know of. Look at one of them. You might be surprised. And no, I am not a salesman nor do I own any of their stock.
Frank
KL7IPV
WT8Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2001, 08:51:50 AM »

I drive a Nissan Xterra with a filter installed on the fuel pump motor (90%) of the noise comes from the brush type fuel pump motor FYI.. This is common for all vehicles. I also bonded all of the body parts and muffler to the frame with 1 inch copper flex. This same fix will clear problems on most of the vehicles out there, however most Ham's are to (whatever) to really clean up a vehicles noise problems.
I can hear the band noise floor on 40m and 20m.
W6MW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2001, 01:31:04 PM »

Thanks to all for your comments.  I am single so a van is not necessary for me and as the trustee of a mountaintop repeater, I need an SUV to get over the rocks in the road.

My Explorer has also had a filter installed before the Fuel Pump and the major parts (exhaust pipe, hood, tail gate, etc) have been grounded with strap.  The noise that I get comes in on the antenna... it gets louder and softer with the connection and disconnection of the antenna.  The noise is there regardless of whether the mount is grounded to the vehicle or not.  I have come to the conclusion that Fords are just noisy - one backed up by several articles in "WorldRadio".

That is why I specifically asked about the Escape.  While Ford sells it, it is manufactured by Mazda and might be a bit better in the RF department.  Guess I will have to drag a magnet mount and rig with me to actually listen when I start test driving.

Thanks again... if anyone else has some information please add it here.

73 de Mark
W6MW
WB7OEC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 08:54:05 PM »

I am not only interested in the noise issue in the Nissan Xterrra, I really need help in finding a place to mount my Icom 706 in the Xterra. Encountering great difficulty.
wb7oec@cox.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: