Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okay - Now What ?  (Read 1385 times)
IRABREN

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2008, 06:57:40 PM »

Well I received the dreaded letter from the HOA- no antenna. I had to take down my force 12 sigma 40XK vertical dipole ( 23 ft ). (x-base - ground mounted)
I live in a new home development - Houston Texas - - 50x100 lot ( small ) no trees - - no antennas or aerials allowed. I don't however yet have the complete CC&Rs. I expect appeals or permits would be worthless.
I seem to be left with my High Sierra HS 1800 Pro screwdriver - te set up at nite on the lawn on a tripod ( its not too bad an antenna )
I am soo disappointed !
I can't seem to do any kind of height with these restrictions. I don't want attic antenna or gutter antenna - yuk !
I do have a tak tenna - they say it can work at 15 ft
Haven't tried it. I didn't hear europeans anyway with the force 12 -which is why I got into ham radio to begin with. ( It was placed on the east end of yard though )
I also have a g5RV - but it needs to much height.
I have a dk9sq - but it needs the 33 ft mast.
SO - Am I stuck ?
What do you wise folks think about my situation and what can you suggest.
PS - I love this site, have contributed and built my entire station from the reviews.
You folks are wonderful- and so helpful.
Can you bail me out ?
Thanks
W5ROY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 07:13:05 PM »

Look into a perth outbacker. I run a regular outbacker on my mobile, and have great luck. Outbackers need a GOOD GROUND! I have read some good reviews on the outbacker on the tripod. Check it out.  73  gd luck  de W5ROY
W5ROY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 07:15:35 PM »

Another thought. How about a really nice flagpole for your new home. Show your neighbors your patriotism HI. I hear they make some really nice flagpole antennas. Roy
N5DXL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 07:36:23 PM »

I had the same trouble when I was living in Denton.
So I mounted a High Sierra Sidekick then later the
HS-1800 on the backside of the roof. No one could see
them and they did work.
I all so installed a 20 foot flagpole (force 12) that
would work 6-20 meters, and was about to replace it
with a 6-BTV made up to look like a flagpole when my
wife's job changed from Denton to the Memphis area
were I am free to do as I want as long as the wife
oaky's it first.

Tom
NG0K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 07:45:54 AM »

Maybe you could support a very thin #20 guage stealth vertical wire or inverted-L from a chimney to a far roof peak or something.  Feed it at gound level against a few radials with a very very short coax run to a shack tuner or a remote coupler.   If you could get 30+ feet of wire routed then it would beat the screwdriver.

Good Luck,
Doug

73, Doug - NG0K
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 11:12:42 AM »

You have yet to see the complete CC&Rs???

By law they must be disclosed prior to property transfer (escrow closing).  The escrow paperwork including the contract of sale has a line item stating you have received this and agree with the terms.  If you signed that without ever receiving the CC&Rs, that wasn't good.

Get the printed covenants and read them thoroughly.  Often there is a provision for deviation or waiver if agreed to by the Architectural Committee (or similar body, contained within the Homeowner Association) and the process often works well.

The  "stealth antenna" idea (fine gauge wire that nobody can see) used with an excellent ground and tuner is a fine one; this should easily outperform the HS1800 and might be a good compromise.

WB2WIK/6
KF4ZGZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 04:19:37 AM »

Hinge mount your force 12 in the back yard.
Pop it up at night....lay it down when not in use.

Matt

btw- you could check w/ Art and his mystery antenna or read the "history article" and build an EH radiator! lol

( just kidding  on the btw)
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 05:46:44 AM »

r.e. disclosure of covenants prior to closing of escrow:

If your covenants have a clause similar to these:

"NOW THEREFORE, by the execution of this Declaration, Declarant hereby declares that the Property is and shall hereafter be held, transferred, sold and conveyed subject to the following restrictive covenants, which shall run with the Property, by whomsoever owned:"

OR

"These convents are to run with the land and shall be binding on all parties and all persons claiming under them until January 1, 2005. Thereafter, said convents shall automatically renew for successive 10-year periods unless by vote of a majority of the then owners of the lots it is agreed to change said covenants in whole or in part."

You are governed by the covenants no matter whether you were presented with them prior to closing or not!
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 05:50:08 AM »

Well, the EH antenna might not be such a bad idea.
As WB2WIK described in his article on the antenna, he was able to make some great QSO's over considerable distance.

OTOH, if you could string a thin dipole (vertical or horizontal, doesn't matter) you would be better off.

the article: http://www.eham.net/articles/5002
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 01:04:35 PM »

>RE: Okay - Now What ?       Reply
by PD2R on August 5, 2008    Mail this to a friend!
Well, the EH antenna might not be such a bad idea.
As WB2WIK described in his article on the antenna, he was able to make some great QSO's over considerable distance.<

::Yes, but they were all 20 dB down from using a real 1/4-wave vertical, so not much of an antenna.  I made QSOs easily letting propagation do all the work near the peak of the last sunspot cycle.  We're not so lucky today.  E-H is also a very "monoband" antenna; it cannot cover even two bands.  Last resort kind of thing, I think.

WB2WIK/6
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 03:04:36 AM »

Steve, thanks for putting things into perspective, I overlooked the fact that you did your testing at the peak of the last sunspot cycle. These days (at the beginning of a new sunspot cycle) a 20 dB loss is unacceptable.

I apologize for the bad information.

73, Maarten
PD2R
WB2JNA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 09:47:06 AM »

You could always try putting up as much wire as you can and using it with a tuner and counterpoise. You could run the wire through your attic and out into the yard if possible. Attach it to anything you can. Thin wire (#24 or smaller) is pretty much invisible. Use as much wire as possible, as high as possible, and as much of it outside as you can manage. The inverted L idea is a great one.
If you don't have a good wide range tuner, manual or automatic, you might want to get one. You can do an awful lot with plenty of wire and a tuner, and it's cheap and versatile.
IRABREN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 11:05:04 AM »

Thanks for the replies.
Apparently most folks in this houston area - who are HOA restricted - use a screwdriver in the backyard.
I set up a HS-1800 Pro High Sierra - with a 6 inch extender and capacity hat. 6 ft whip - and added a dx engineering coax choke ( feedline isolator ). I can do pretty well with this on 20m - yet to try 17m and 40m.
73, Ira KE5STP
WD2AHP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 03:45:50 PM »

Federal law is state and local ordinances "must reasonably accomodate radio amateurs". I dont know how a homeowners association and supercede federal law...

http://www.westfloridacomponents.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 05:05:21 PM »

<< Federal law is state and local ordinances "must reasonably accomodate radio amateurs". I dont know how a homeowners association and supercede federal law... >>

Some misunderstanding of PRB-1 here ...

(1) It ONLY applies in states that have specifically adopted it as state law.
(2) It ONLY applies to state and municipal governments.
(3) An HOA is NOT an municipal government.
(4) It has NO effect upon private contracts.
(5) CCRs are PRIVATE contracts voluntarily entered in to when you purchase a home/land in an HOA-controlled development.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: