Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lots of space, little height  (Read 595 times)
NM5RW

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2008, 04:57:30 PM »

Greetings.  I'm becoming active after a long down time.  Have an ICOM 706MkIIG to put on the air at home QTH in northern NM.  I live in a development with deed and HOC restrictions, but there are a couple of other antennas up in the neighborhood that no one has complained about.  I'm not particularly worried about the restrictions, as long as I'm not too obtrusive.  
I have nearly 2 acres, but not much height.  Our "trees" would be big shrubs in most other parts of the country--pinon & junipers no more than ~ 8-9 feet high.  A couple of aspens and 1 lodgepole pine which run up to ~ 30 feet.  House is 1 story, flat roofed "Santa Fe" style.  I'd like to run a long wire or 2, but getting much more than ~ 20 ft above the ground will be a problem--mainly beause I don't want to draw attention to the antenna(s).  
  Anyone have any experience with this type of geometry?  I know I could put up a vertical, give it a flat green or gray paintjob and it would not be noticable, but I have the room for wire!  

Appreciate any thoughts.
     Ray
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 04:52:25 AM »

Do the vertical thing but not as your primary antenna. Use the camoflaged vertical as the center support for any of a number of center fed antennas. Camo all wires and insulators and use the smallest gage that is usable. You don't have to support very much weight with fine wire and a supported feed point.

Properly done this will disappear about as well as a simple vertical.

KF7CG
ON8RTH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:01:37 AM »

Maybe some a vertical for TX (à la SteppIr BigIr) and some beverage's for RX.

ON8RTH
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 02:08:05 PM »

I'd seriously consider a vertical - something like a Hustler 6-BTV decked out in camo paint, particularly if you're interested in DX.  You sound like you have a lot of room to put in a decent system of radials on the relatively large piece of property you have.  The vertical - with a decent radial system under it - would probably work better for DX than any horizontal antenna you might be able to erect under 20 to 30 feet.

I installed one once for a friend in a small patch of pine trees and it blended in so well you couldn't even tell it was there.  We ran approximately 100 60 foot radials (overkill I admit) and it worked very well.  Bandwidth on 80 was pretty narrow, better on 40 and fine on 30 and above.

You might also want to consider a flagpole vertical (perhaps fed at the base with an autotuner).  Again, consider taking advantage of your relatively large lot by installing a decent radial system and you should be able to make a vertical do a good job.
KF5KWO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 05:30:38 PM »

I second the vertical and beverage idea.  Could you also installs a flagpole or purple martin birdhouse as concealment?
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 05:32:00 AM »

I'd like to run a long wire or 2, but getting much more than ~ 20 ft above the ground will be a problem--mainly beause I don't want to draw attention to the antenna(s).

It'll work but not well.  I'd move.
PHILA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 04:53:35 PM »

"I have nearly 2 acres, but not much height."

Then build the height with a gazebo placed around 35 feet from your house.

Height:
2 ft off ground (I think that equals 3 steps up)
15 feet from bottom support to center top of roof
15 feet center mast on top with one of those roster spin things

Total: 32 feet.....good enough to run a long wire from your house to the top mast of the gazebo.

The only other option you have, is too get one of those fiberglass collapsing antenna masts, like these.

http://www.mgs4u.com/fiberglass-push-up-mast.htm
WA6MOW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 09:58:59 PM »

I camp in the desert all the time and use a 66 ft fine gage wire, end fed with 300 ohm twin lead into an LDG 4 to 1 balun, about 33 ft of coax and an an LDG auto tuner.  My antenna is never any higher than 20 feet.  I work all bands and have worked ZL, VK, JA etc with 5 watts on 80, 40 and 30.  Fine gage buss wire makes an awesome invisible antenna.  I think if you run 135 ft. at an average height of 20 feet, it would work even better than the ground mounted vertical.  Try them both and see what you can work.  My antenna is the cheapest!
73, Alan
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 10:15:11 PM »

You "have 2 acres but not much height" and are worried? I wish I had that problem. Smiley Any good vertical would be a good one for you since you have the room to spread some radials too. Good luck.
Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: