Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the '756PROIII worth the extra money?  (Read 280 times)
KD7LEE

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2006, 08:34:30 PM »

I have been considering lately which of these transceivers to buy--the IC-746PRO, or the IC-756PROIII.  In either case, the purchase means I will have to sign on the dotted line and make monthly payments (unless I want to try and save the cash over the next year or two).  My question is this: Is the '756PROIII worth paying double the price for?  I have leaned very hard towards the '46PRO, but I see alot of negative reviews and it seems like I see far too many on the used market.  In general, I would really prefer a PROIII; but ouch! Double the cost.  What do you think?
K2QPN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 09:14:02 PM »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't be afraid to buy a 746PRO. I bought a 746PRO 3 years ago and it has been trouble free. I have used it from 160M to 2M.  I have worked 224 counties with a vertical. Works very well on PSK and RTTY also. I'd buy another one.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 01:24:09 AM »

Why not go used?

There is a 756ProII with a power supply on eBay and the current bid is $1530.00. This one ends Feb-28-06 08:30:42 PST

There is another 756ProII with a Heil desk mic going for $1430.00. This one ends Feb-28-06 16:30:00 PST

And believe it or not, there is a 756ProIII with an SP-23 speaker with a current bid of $1025.00. Better hurry since this one ends Feb-24-06 14:33:40 PST.

Scott N0IU
WD8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 04:23:15 AM »

I have a 746pro. It did develope a problem on 6 meters after 3 years but they fixed it for free including the return shipping. It is the best radio I have ever owned. The pro III will be almost identical to the 746pro in actual receive capability but it has some nice bells and wistles. (dual watch, band scope that works, voice keyer)It does not have 2 meters. I would consider a used radio from a dealer. All the big dealers will give your money back if your not happy. Good Luck; Don WD8PTB
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 06:07:50 AM »

Have you clearly defined your operating goals?  The 746 and 756 have significantly different features.  For example the 746 includes VHF while the 756 does not.  The 756 has (I believe) an oscilloscope display.  Is that feature important enough to you to pay for?

There are also many good radios besides ICOM out there.

My husband has an Icom 746Pro and has had NO problems with it.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 08:21:56 AM »

I have had my 756 Pro III for a little over a month now.  It replaces a non-pro 756 that I bought used two years ago.

I think it is a great rig and well worth the money.  Now, as I say that, "well worth the money", I realize that each of us has a different view on what money is worth.  For some, spending $3000 on a rig doesn't dip the bank account much.  For others though, it is a big decision considering a variety of things such as loans, saving, sacrifices, and so on.

The Pro III is a great improvement over the older 756 that I own.  For example, I can selectively tune-out neighboring QRM much more effectively on the Pro III.  Also, there are a wider variety of filter combinations available on the Pro III.  My previous rig had the band scope as the Pro III does so the only real improvement there was the color screen.

My decision was buying the Pro III versus the Orion II.  A friend of mine has an Orion and it is in the shop right now, for the second time in less than a year.  Seems like more software/firmware oriented problems then I want to deal with.  But, I still have my eyes on the Orion II and I have not ruled out a purchase in the future.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 11:48:28 AM »

Had a 756 and still have a 746 pro, it is hooked to an IC2-KL amd and AT 500 tuner.  nice setup give you auto tune and auto band switching, computer control and works on either.. ( I use to have 2 sets, one for each. )

that said I also have a corsair II, a ts 2000, a scout, an 847, and 2 857d's.

which do I use, the Orion.

ALL in all the orion ( or orion II) now is new at about $4k. used  for an origonal orion with tuner is about $2900 and used with no tuner about $2600.

My opinion is the orion beats the pants of all the other rigs, what sounds like a ctowded overlaping band of noise in a contest on the rest of them can be made to sound like everyone is sittng 5 kc's apart and running just enough power to be heard.  it makes that big of a difference.  bandwidth on rx is from 6000 cycles down to 100. lots of filter choices, good notch filter, tx audio is adjustable up to 4k wide with rolloff set where you like it. Built in keyer, 3 ssb memories, 3 cw memories, the second reciever is general coverage, it has  diversity tuning into stereo head sets, so you can "spread the field out in your head" on cw, or listen to the dx in one ear and the pile in the other.. Its an amazing radio.

I run the Orion through an alpha 87 A and this set up has no relays so when on vox for rag chews, there is no clickty clack.  it is 1500 watts of absolute transparent amp. you just talk like they other fellow is in the room with you, and even better for contesting.

I wish I had bought this pair years ago, start with the best, even if you get them used, an Orion and an alpha 87a.. the best set up I have ever used.. and I hav had everything from an sbe 33 to a ft 101 to a siltronics, to a ts 820, 3 clipperton l's, 811 h's and so on.  the orion/87a is the way to go. buy it once and use it for ever, its that good,

if you just want to play radio, the I like the lay out of the 756, all the "good knobs" are around the screen, but the 746 pro adds 2 meters ,  they are just about equal, so buy what feels best to you.  I still have my 746 and it looks nice in the pictures but I use it about once a month.

Just my opinion, your milage may vary..
KD7LEE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 03:59:31 PM »

In response to the question about my operating goals being defined: Probably 90% of my radio time is spent either on CW QSOs or stateside contests.  I either lack the knowledge, location, or equipment (maybe all three) to work alot of DX (even using my tribander during an international contest), so I don't do much of that. I stay entirely away from SSB unless there is a contest or a special event I want to work.  As far as 2 meters goes--I check into a 2 meter net sponsored by a local club once a week, and that is about it.  Two meters in this area is barely alive, if that.  So that feature in the '46PRO holds little interest with me.  So there is the summary; I hope it's helpful.
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 07:29:34 PM »

Based on your needs and budget, and seeing as you clearly want a better-than-average performing rig, primarily for cw ...  you want an Elecraft K2.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: