Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CA Antenna case  (Read 616 times)
WV4L

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2008, 05:26:08 PM »

Interesting read from the ARRL on the case in CA.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 08:28:29 AM »

Yes, a very interesting read indeed.

If you work your way through the actual proposed ordinance, you will find that Palmdale has at least appeared to do their homework very well while crafting this ordinance.

At no time do the even attempt to regulate interference or ban antennas.

They take much time explaining how the permitting process is to permit legitimate operations while protecting the character of the community.

Their approach to "perceived" interference is that widespread perceptions are detrimental to the character of the community and therefore should be eliminated. This allows them to revoke permits if an installation appears to cause interference and the FCC finds no reason to act. They are saying that though the interference alledged is either not present or the FCC finds it inactionable, this alledged interference is damaging the character of the community and as such is within the scope of the things that they are specifically allowed to regulate.

From reading the ordinance, I notice that they have even set up a method for allowing the denial of indoor antennas (I am using the common use plural here instead of the grammatically correct antennae). They specifically state the the local building codes enforcement can require building permits for these antennas. Said permits might never be available due to regulations on spacing of antennas to home wiring, plumbing, ductwork, or communications connections all in the name of safety.

This ordinance has much of the aroma of Marc Antoni's remarks at Ceasar's funeral. They do not come here to ban Amateur Radio, just to help it fit in to the community.

I have heard that San Diego is also coming up with some sort of restrictive antenna regulation; I would like to see the text of it.

It looks as if war has been declared by two communities in CA. If the fears of the communications and spaceweather scientist prove out, this could be an interesting next few years. A question!

Who will get blamed for the interference when unreported solar and geomagnetic disturbances disrupt satellite communications?

Isn't every hang of your TV signal the fault of an Amateur somewhere?

KF7CG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: