Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PE required to sign off on antenna installation?  (Read 1594 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 08:45:20 AM »

You said "PE required to sign off on antenna installation"--did you mean 'tower'?  It seems to me that if a PE was required to sign off on an antenna installation, there wouldn't be too many antennas around.  And I'm not talking about southern California, either!
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 10:37:58 AM »

pantywaist vs pantywaste
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 04:13:55 PM »

Dennis:

Perhaps he/she thinks panties are a waste. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 07:35:20 AM »

"K1CJS  
You said "PE required to sign off on antenna installation"--did you mean 'tower'? It seems to me that if a PE was required to sign off on an antenna installation, there wouldn't be too many antennas around. And I'm not talking about southern California, either!"

From what I am hearing at various places and seeing in restrictions and regulations towers/antennas are being regarded as synonamous. This should not be allowed. This gives the regulators one more tool to prohibit or make prohibitively expensive the installation of towers and antenna systems. Change the antenna mounted on the tower, get a new permit. Yes, I know that the antennas mounted to the tower change the engineering parameters for the tower and the tower mounting.

How would you like to get a PE report on a wire dipole?

The tower/antenna case is another entire can of worms.

KF7CG

KB7QPS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 10:28:56 AM »

I didn't separate tower and antenna in my original post because from a mechanical standpoint, they are all part of the same system. The design requirements for the foundation and guying of a tower depend directly on the tower AND antenna.

A PE cannot ethically signoff on a tower drawing without considering the load influence from the antenna.

With that said, since antennas are frequently changed and used in a different manners, the PE should design the tower for a defined large size antenna and say any other antenna the same size or smaller would be acceptable.
KB7QPS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 10:32:05 AM »

By the way, I'd be happy to design an antenna for anyone interested and put my PE stamp on it. Talk about low liability and low risk engineering! (And in all honesty - a PE license is required if I offer to design for pay a custom antenna for a fellow ham)

Of course, antenna building is a big attraction for the hobby, so I don't think I'll find a lot of people taking me up on the offer.

Of course, what the other poster was referring to is a city requiring a PE to design a wire dipole. Unless they can show a safety risk to the public, it makes no sense for them to take on this role.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 12:20:12 PM »

I asked that in the light of the number of case that have been appearing where local jurisdictions specifically equate antennas and antenna support systems, requiring that antennas alone such as ground mounted verticals meet the same requirements as towers and vice versa.

What I have seen is that anything antenna has to meet the same set of rules. Therefore, I expect in the near future to see more regulations about the engineering of wire antennas and the like. This then allows specifying the type of coax since it contributes either to the loading or support of the antenna or must have its own support structures. Just more places for possible control.

Then engineering on the radio and amplifiers to ensure safety by certifying that the wires can handle the power without overheating and that the insulation is adequate for the worst case voltages present.

KF7CG
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 03:31:19 PM »

You hit a nerve with me, WB2WIK, who made you the "legitimate address" police?  I have two addresses, both are legitimate.  Should you look me up on the database you will find one and I live at the other.  What business is it of yours where someone is addressed?  
KB7QPS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 10:35:53 AM »

FCC requirements are pretty lax. All they require is you provide them an address where you can get mail. As long as you meet that requirement, no one who complains has a leg to stand on.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 02:28:53 PM »

Kind of what happens on the bed-wetting liberal coasts, and recently some other areas. Here in the heartland you need nothing up to 70' and must be clear of others property's if it falls. For the sake of security we are slowly giving away our freedoms until we have neither security of freedom.

Sorry, I spent 20 years in California and wouldn't go back for 20 million!

73 de Lindy
VR2AX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 03:28:18 PM »

Having worked for a Californian company, I guess that must have been 19.9 years spent in meetings, and 0.1 years getting things done.

73, VR2AX
K3MEJ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 03:50:36 PM »

Well I have two quotes from Maryland PE's. One was for $2,250 and the other was $2,500. Now this is for a 65' Rohn 25G. Rohn does the calculations and I have all the Rohn drawings and specs for the 25G. The is no way I can pay that kind of money for a PE stamp. This is just another nail in the coffin of this hobby.
Merlin
K3MEJ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009, 04:50:25 PM »

I found a PE licensed in Maryland. He charged me $350.00. That was a good deal. There is hope for our hobby with guys like him.
K3MEJ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 05:48:25 AM »

I got my permit on Monday. Now the fun starts!
Merlin
WB0MCO

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009, 08:10:46 PM »

I'am I glad I live in the Midwest, don't even know what a PE is or what PE stands for. Here all we do
is dig a hole,throw in the cement,and install the tower.
Life is Great.
Dave
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: