The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grounding the IC718  (Read 650 times)
TAMMY

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2006, 09:25:10 PM »

Hello, I live in a high rise apartment. How to connect the grounding to my IC718. i do nt have any special earthing point except the electrical earthing (water pipe lines)
K8MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 08:40:31 AM »

If you live too far about ground level an RF ground may not be able to be achieved using a conductor.  If such a ground is desired, an artifical ground is one choice.  There are antennas that have no requirement.

A safety ground is a different matter.  Water pipes may or may not grounded, depending on the age and material of the pipes.  Older buildings may have all metal pipes, but over the years the connections degrade and you get a condition called 'di-electric unions' which creates impedance.

The best bet is to try to find a place to tag onto building steel.  Not knowing the layout, I can't really tell you how to go about it.  Most building steel is not exposed.  Some buildings have access to it, though, mostly through dropped ceilings.

You need to protect yourself from shock and also protect the radio from a lightning strike.  If you have a power supply that may be grounded via the third mains conductor.  At the very least, the two metal cabinets should be bonded together.  If you are running off a battery you will have a chassis that may become energized in the event of an internal fault.  The Icom-718 Should have few components operating in excess of 70.7 volts at 100 watts.  You will have far more voltage at the ends of an antenna.

If you can't ground your antenna for lightning protection, make sure you disconnect it outside the building and try be sure to stand the feedline off the building by at least 2 inches.  Only coax that is effectively grounded is exempt from the NEC standoff rule we normally apply to balanced feedline.

Many second story shacks operate fine with no grounding.  You will read about them here from time to time.  The fact still remains that for safety reasons, seeking a proper ground and connecting to it with a low impedance conductor is always prudent.

Good luck and 73,

Mark K8MHZ

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: