Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need some help on this topic  (Read 641 times)
DXER1

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2009, 08:13:03 PM »

I live in Carrollton a suburb of Dallas Texas and still live with my parents. They have really tight restrictions and nothing can be mounted to the house!
I was thinking of sinking a 8 ft pipe into the ground with a cement footing and three feet of the pipe sticking out of the footing. I will then slip a 40 ft channel master telescoping mast over the pipe and bolt the pipe and the telescoping mast together in two or three spots.My dad does not want any guy wires stretching across the yard. here is the equipment and what level of the mast they will be mounted. at the (30 foot level) I will mount my scanner antenna from radio shack. At the 40 foot level I will have a channel master antenna rotator mountedon top with a 6 ft mast with my TV and FM antenna mounted on that same pipe with about 5 ft seperation. any help is appriciated

Thanks in advance
DXER1
WLANDDX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 05:15:32 AM »

DXER1,
 The TV antenna plan sounds good. The scanner antenna
may have several ground plane and it might look
very obvious. As per the federal rules, any other
purpose other than for TV reception is not a
covered use. Can you not just run a sloping wire or
so with a tuner for your scanner?

Or, let the TV antenna sit for several months and then
one fine day, just stick in the scanner antenna.
Hope the scanner antenna is a low profile one.
Make sure you DO NOT attact any attention while doing
so.

73s
{Call sign withheld to avoid monitoring by my HOA}
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 05:44:58 AM »

I already answered the same question is the other forum.  No way this will hold up, no guy wires, that will bend and fall over in the slighest breeze.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 06:45:34 AM »

I agree. There is no way that 40 feet of that mast will support a rotor and antenna without guy wires. You will need a much more substantial mast.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 08:25:05 AM »

It will become obvious during the installation that an unguyed 40' Channel Master mast will not self-support.

If you think it will, try it.  But, it won't.  It has four guy rings, one at each 10' extension, and they're there for a good reason.

W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 08:41:47 AM »

One way to get by without guying a telescoping mast is to only extend each section about 1/2 way out. This essentially shortens a 40' mast to around 20' but if you were to get a ROHN 50' mast, then you should be able to get 25+ ft.  

I have a similar setup for a unguyed 50' mast (appx 35' extended) with a 6M halo mounted on top stabilized to the eve of my shack building. Of course the wind load is small and there is no rotor. Just no room to guy it so I went for the longer overlap in joints vice height & guys.

Now for the caveats:

1) The anchor has to be able to support the load of the mast and antennas like any other unguyed antenna support (obvious).

2) Success is limited to the antenna / rotor load at the top of the mast. You would probably get by with only a TV ant or FM ant but with a rotor, TV and FM ants like you described, even with a shortened approach, guying most likely may need to be implemented for safety.

3) Another obvious approaches would be to install a TV/FM antenna in the attic of the house if possible. A rotor setup could also be employed if enough room.

4) You didn't state your age, but maybe it's time to strike out on your own and get a place out from the HOA entrapments where you can have real towers and antennas. Just a thought.

Good Luck.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
DXER1

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 01:40:57 PM »

Thanks for all the help everyone. I am 25. My housing edition doesn't have restrictions, it's just that my parents don't want anything mounted to the house they want it out in the yard. We have clay type soil. Here are the antennas that will be mounted.

above the rotator
TV = VU90 XR (radio shack)
FM = FM 6 element directional antenna (radio shack)
below the rotator at say the 20 to 25 foot level I will have a diclone type scanner antenna from radio shack

thanks again for all the help
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: