Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: antenna and condo  (Read 902 times)
KB3ALX

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2008, 06:46:21 AM »

I live on the 1st floor of a 2 floor condo.  Cant use an indorr antenna tried to doesnt work.  

does anyone know of any sites where i can get the desgin from

KG6WLS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 02:43:33 PM »

What bands do you want to work, and what to you have for space outside of the condo? Trees? Shrubs? Rain gutters? Need more info on your situation.

There's a book that was published awhile back dealing with stealth operations.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 05:01:27 PM »

I briefly lived in a first floor apartment about 7 years ago and had good luck with an indoor loop thumb tacked about 7 feet up on the walls.  The loop was approximately 30 by 15 feet and I fed it with about 6 feet of 300 ohm TV ribbon connected to a small antenna tuner.  I operated exclusively using CW and the digital modes (mostly psk-31) and ran between 10 and 20 watts.  I certainly wasn't a DX king but did manage to have many decent digital rag chews on 20 and 40 meters.  These days I'm in a better setup but I still work many stations on the digital modes that are using indoor antennas and modest amounts of power.  If you haven't played around with the digital modes, you might be pleasantly surprised at how well they can work with very modest antennas and power levels.
WW2JS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 03:12:48 PM »

Check out the AARL's book, Low Profile Amateur Radio. I read it and used designs from it. You must experiment with different setups until you find something that works good for you. Good luck and have fun.

Joe WW2JS
KB3ALX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 06:51:42 AM »

I live on the 1st floor of the 2 floor condo. I want to work all bands

there are some srubs bushes outside but nothing high up i do have a proch and there is a deck was thinking of runnung a wire out there and attaching to the wood of the proch and just run that way
KJ4DGE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 04:52:03 AM »

Hi,

I am in a similar position and have been using a 16 ft piece of speaker wire running along my wooden fence with the other leg being the "rain gutter" with a tuner have had good contacts south into S. America and such on 20 meters. Keep experimenting and you will find something that works.
K2ZS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 07:42:08 AM »

I live on the second floor of my building and have an indoor wire loop antenna. I have detailed my story on my website www.k2zs.com. I use the SGC SG-230 auto tuner and it works great. I made DXCC in under 2 years

Good Luck,
Scott - K2ZS

Antenna restricted?
http://www.k2zs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: