Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pride DX 300 amp  (Read 2313 times)
KC8QXI

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2002, 12:03:17 PM »

Does anyone know anything about the pride DX 300 amp..
email me at fprovo@cbf.com
WA9PWP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2002, 04:00:38 PM »

Sounds like a "good Buddy" amp to me!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2002, 06:45:39 PM »

Yep, I've had them on my bench, for repairs.

American made for CB use, obviously, although it has a bandswitch and tuned input/output circuitry for 80-10 meters.  As an "RF activated" amplifier capable of operation above 22 MHz with less than 100W drive power, sale of such amplifiers is specifically unlawful in the U.S. and this is not, and never was, an FCC-accepted product.

However, its use by a licensed amateur, within his operating privileges, would be permitted.  It's legal to own, just not legal to sell!

It's kind of a shabby circuit.  It uses a 4CX250 tube, which is kind of a silly choice for HF work because it's a VHF-UHF tube that requires 2-3 minutes warm-up time prior to transmitting and could easily be replaced by something more suitable for HF, like a 3-500Z, which would provide much more power margin.  The designers used the 4CX250 specifically to make the amp usable with low-powered (CB) exciters, like 5W units.  Hams normally have no need for this kind of input sensitivity, although with little rigs like FT817's around nowadays, maybe it's a good feature sometimes.

The amp is not particularly linear, due in part to its unregulated screen voltage supply.  Screen voltage in tetrode power amplifiers, to be linear, must be well regulated, and in the PRIDE DX300, it is not.  

WB2WIK/6
K8NQC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2002, 09:19:48 PM »

I am primarily a CW QRP operator.  I have used this AMP when I wish to operate QRO. It works great and is clean within the instumentation I have used to monitor my signal. The 4CX250B is a fine tube with a long track record in military, industrial, and government applications. For an amplifier that runs cool and comfortable from a regular 20 AMP 110V outlet, it is hard to beat. The tuned input circuit looks good to the exciter. I used it several times on SSB with no observed problems and reports an S unit above my ICOM 100W rig. I added a switch to permit relay versus electronic switching. If one can get by the CB stigma that burdens some amateurs, the Pride DX-300 can be a worthy addition to the ham shack.  73,  Bill
WA6HYQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 04:24:55 PM »

Don't have one of these but knew several people who did and I thought they were a good design. Sure you can say there a CB amp, and yes they were produced by a company who built mainly CB amps, but if you look at this amp its using a real tube, real imput matching, a real tank circuit switchable for all Amateur bands, so I find it hard to see why some would turn their noses up at a little amp that really works well, perhaps better than some of that homebrew stuff floating around out there. Besides I don't see anyone sniviling about a Swan 1200-X/W amplifier when that is nothing more than a glorified Siltronix LA-550 with the driver tubes removed and multiple taped tank circuit.

Just like the Swan 1200-X/W NO they are NOT Illegal to sell or buy as they were designed and sold for Amateur Service not specifcally for CB as were many of the older Palomar, Varmit, Shooting Star, and early Pride amps. Of course there are many more models out there but this amp as was the later Palomar 300A had multiple band operation, and the Pride used a real tube not a sweep like 6LQ6, 6JS6, 6LF6, 8950's etc.

With a little tweaking I'm sure it would even work well on 6 meters.

That's my opinion and yes I operated and played with many forms of radio over the years including CB, and YEP like most of ya all out there used a little help from time to time if you know what I mean..

73's,

John.
KG4IZO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 11:05:49 AM »

Can i drive this amp on 75 m with 100 watts?
KG4IZO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 12:05:35 PM »

I found the manual so i know it's 12 watts max drive but can i modify the amp to 100 watts drive by doing away with the rf keying and adding a footswitch would this be possible any help would be attreciated...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: