Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Escape Hybrid  (Read 728 times)
KG4RGN

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2006, 04:19:30 PM »

Has anyone installed an VHF/UHF transciever in a Ford Escape Hybrid.  Where did you mount the radio and did you have an RFI issue with the DC system, electrical system, or battery system. I may also temporary install a Kenwood TS2000 in the back on top of the battery pack Thanks  KG4RGN.
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 07:57:37 PM »

I have a Toyota Prius hybrid and when I have my handy talkie in the car  I get a high pitch wine that would drowned out anyone. The wine may last from 30 seconds to a minute or more. I have watched the monitor on the car and it is not tied to the car switching from gas to battery. So from that I have not installed a radio in the car.
NS6Y_

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 11:50:56 PM »

I've used my Yaesu VX-170 HT in my Prius and no problems, had it hooked up to a cable that went to the cigarette lighter socket so I could use full power without burning up the batteries too soon, everyone told me my audio was great. Oh and for antenna the awesome factory rubber duck.
W4KPA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 08:38:50 PM »

I just got back this afternoon from a 500 mile overnight trip in a Ford Escape hybrid with a 2 meter rig temporarily installed.  I had no problems at all on receive.  One of the stations I talked to reported some light, ignition-like noise on the transmitted audio, but this may have been because the radio was powered from a cigarette lighter jack.  A direct hook up to the battery would probably eliminate that.  In fact, the Escape has two cigarette lighter-type jacks on the dash.  I swapped the radio to the other jack -- the one that is hot all the time -- and stations after that did not report the noise on the signal.  I didn't have a hand held with me to check out the audio myself.

There was no noticeable interference from the radio to the car itself on high power -- normally 50 watts, but probably less due to the poor power connection.

The radio was a Yaesu FT-2600 feeding a 5/8 wave antenna on the roof on a magnetic mount.

Next week I'm using the car again.  This time I'm taking an FT-817 along, and I'll listen, at least, to see what the car sounds like on HF. I'll  also have a second radio to check out the transmit audio for myself.

Bruce
W4KPA
W4KPA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 03:33:40 PM »

An update:

I just finished another overnighter in the Ford Escape hybrid.  This time I took along an FT-817 and an FT-50 handheld in addition to the FT-2600.  I listened to the transmit audio from the FT-817 and the 2600 on the handheld and I couldn't hear any noise on the signal.  I tried the FT-817 on both VHF and UHF.

I also listened around on other bands on the 817. Six meter receive was clean, both on FM and SSB.  I listened down on HF even though I didn't have an HF antenna.  The only thing I noticed down there was a considerable amount of ignition-like noise on 17 and 20 meters -- about S8.  But, the noise blanker cleaned it out.  I'll probably get the chance to try HF transmit in the next few weeks.  In the meantime, if you try the TS-2000, I'd like to know how it comes out.

Bruce
W4KPA
w4kpa@arrl.net
KY5Q

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 11:34:02 PM »

I just bought an Escape hybrid last week. I am looking to install my TS-2000 in the vehicle with an RC-2000 remote control head, and a hatch lip mount helical whip on 40 & 20 meters. I saw some postings from last year stating that Ford specifically forbade "ham radio" in the Escape Hybrid, but I have not checked this out yet. Has anyone done more research than me on this? I would love your opinions and facts.

73 Bill
KY5Q

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 11:16:54 PM »

I got a letter from Ford today saying that Amateur Radio is OK in the hybrid, just keep equipment away from the anti-lock brake controller in front of the drivr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: