Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Callsign change with Element 4 pass  (Read 385 times)
KC2PCE

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2006, 01:38:10 PM »

Hi Guys:
Need help understanding something.  Do you get a callsign change when you pass Element 4, or is it an option.  Basically, as a General Class licensee I don't want to go Vanity to get a 1x2 or 1x3, if I get the chance to change my current callsign when I pass my Element 4 (Taking the exam this fall).

Any help you can send my way, I'd appreciate.  Hope to meet most of you on the air.

Carey Magee
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 01:55:24 PM »

You have a choice to change your call sign or stay with the same one. BUT if you check change call sign on your form, you will get a 2x2 beginning with A.  If you want a 1x2, 2x1, or 1x3, you will have to go the vanity route.  All the sequentially assigned ones for your area, as well as most other areas, were "used up" in the early to mid 1990s.
N3UMH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 01:58:50 PM »

1x2's are only extra class calls so as a current general you couldn't get one till you pass El. 4.

You will *only* get a 1x2 as a vanity.  They're in huge demand because there aren't very many of them

The 1x3's aren't in such high demand, but there aren't a lot of those issued if any these days.  The N3xxx calls ran out a few years ago I know.  I don't believe the W#xxx or K#xxx are assigned sequentially at all.

If you want a 1x3 as your eventual call, you can get it now, it will have to be vanity.

If you want a 1x2 (or 2x1), you will have to wait until you pass element 4 and then go for the vanity call.

The extra sequentially assigned calls these days are Ax#xx, so you'd get one like AB2CD or something.

Dan
N3OX
www.n3ox.net
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 02:40:17 PM »

When you fill out the paperwork at your VE test session , you'll have the opportunity to choose , either to keep your current call , or to have a new sequential call assigned .I believe the current forms are FCC 605 , and "schedule D" .Your VE team will have those . If you choose to let FCC assign you a new call , you'll get a 2x2 starting with "AB2" or "AC2" , depending on your timing . Apparently the most recent sequential issue from call area 2 is AB2VI .Good luck with your upgrade .

Russ W5RB
AG4RQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 03:25:26 PM »

You have 3 choices. You can keep your old call, request a sequential change or request a vanity call. If you keep your old call, you can request a sequential callsign change at any time. Sequential changes are free as long as you do it on ULS. When I got my Extra, I didn't request a callsign change. The Extra license was sent to me with my original callsign. I then decided after a couple of weeks that I wanted a new callsign. It was quite easy. I went to the FCC's ULS site and put in my application for a sequential change of callsign. They acted on my request within 24 hours.

One thing to remember is that if you decide you want your old callsign back, you have 2 years to request it as a vanity call before it is recycled.

73 de Mark
AG4RQ
N3UMH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 07:31:24 PM »

So if they're up to AG in 4 land... I wonder where they're going to go after all the Ax4xx calls are used up?

Dan
N3OX
KC2PCE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 05:15:23 AM »

Mark, Russ and the Gang:
Thanks all for the great responses.  I wasn't aware that FCC was up to the A's.  So, it looks like if I want a W or a N call, it'll have to be vanity.

Again, thanks for the great information.  

73 de Carey (KC2PCE)
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 05:37:26 AM »

BEGIN QUOTE
RE: Callsign change with Element 4 pass  Reply  
by N3UMH on May 4, 2006  Mail this to a friend!  
So if they're up to AG in 4 land... I wonder where they're going to go after all the Ax4xx calls are used up?
Dan
N3OX  
END QUOTE

While I can't say for certain, the most logical thing to do would be to drop down into the next block of calls for the sequential assignment.  In this case, it would be 2x2s beginning with W,K, or N.  This block is reserved for Advanced (and higher) class licensees.

That is essentially what they did for Techs and Generals when then sequential 1x3s ran out.  They dropped down to the next block of callsigns, the old "novice" block of 2x3 calls.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 05:53:09 AM »

"So if they're up to AG in 4 land... I wonder where they're going to go after all the Ax4xx calls are used up?"

Actually they're well into the AIs. (They skipped AH as it is geographically restricted.) The last sequential AI4 I can find (at this moment) is AI4PL. (There are a few later in the sequence that were issued as vanities.)

After they finish off AJ4 and AK4 (and skip AL4 because it too is geographically restricted), they'll stop issuing Group A callsigns to 4-land Extras and issue Group B calls. This is exactly what they did in the late 90s when they ran out of sequential Group C calls (the N 1x3s) for Techs. They moved to the next callsign group down, and started issuing Group D calls (the K 2x3s).

This is also what has happened in some of the geographically restricted areas in the Pacific, where all of the Group A calls have already been used. WorldRadio magazine usually has a table showing the last-issued calls in each group, making this obvious.

So unless the FCC changes the callsign system completely, we'll start seeing new Extras with K, N, and/or W 2x2 calls. (I don't know where in the sequence the FCC is with each of these callsign prefixes. Since Group B is reserved for Advanced and above, and there haven't been any new Advanced licenses issued for five years, I suspect that there have been very few sequential Group B calls issued during that period.)

Steve
W3HF
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 12:58:07 PM »

"The 1x3's aren't in such high demand, but there aren't a lot of those issued if any these days. The N3xxx calls ran out a few years ago I know. I don't believe the W#xxx or K#xxx are assigned sequentially at all."

Just FYI, the W#xxx and the K#xxx sequentially issued callsigns ran out long ago.  The only way to get one of those now is the vanity route.  That includes the N#xxx groups.  73!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: