Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bird droppings  (Read 817 times)
KA8FTP

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2006, 06:22:32 AM »

What is the best way to keep birds off of my antennas? My tower is located less than 10 feet from my new deck, and the birds like to rest on top of my antenna array, and of course, making a mess of my deck. Is there anything I can place near or on the antennas that is good for keeping birds off so my deck doesn't become droppings heaven? Thank you very much and 73.
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 06:25:28 AM »

Fake owls if you move them around frequently. Fake snakes may also work. -KR4WM
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 06:26:30 AM »

Plastic snake or owl
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 06:27:21 AM »

I hate it when that happens
N8YB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 08:24:08 AM »

Have you tried a Remington Model 870?
KE5GBY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 08:25:19 AM »

12 guage...................just kidding Wink

Actually, maybe a firecracker or something very loud to scare them off once a day until the birds don't come back.
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 08:30:39 AM »

This is an old, simple, cheap solution ... been in Hints and Kinks over the years ... wire a washing machine solenoid, mounted on a bracket such that the plunger just strikes a tower leg.

These are available at any appliance dealer, usually for free.  (I offer to take it out of an old junked machine myself and they have been amused at the request.)  They are usually packaged so as to be waterproof already, and they are generally pretty powerful yet draw little current of the 120v line.

Simply push a button to activate the solenoid, and the resulting 'clanging' and vibration will scare the birds off.  

You can automate this if you want, as well.
KY7F

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 09:28:52 AM »

Yeah, the Remington 870 is a good idea, unless you live in an urban area. With some birds, the plastic snake/owl will work, but not with all. At my qth, our family cat works quite well. Besides her daily bowl of Meow Mix, she supplements her diet of with generous helpings of sparrows, finches, robins, blue jays, and an occasional woodpecker. If the birds see her walking around outside, they fly away.

The most bizarre method of keeping birds away that I've encountered is this: I once worked at an underground mining operation in the South. We continually had problems with crows and buzzards getting up on the headframes in large numbers. (The headframe is the large steel "tower" that has the big sheave wheel that drops the cable down the mine shaft.) The crows and buzzards would gather there en masse and, like on your antenna, get droppings all over the area. Plastic owls, snakes, loud speakers, etc were to no avail. One day, we had some contractors on site. One of the laborers from Cuba said to kill one, and then hang it from the headframe. The company got permission from the state wildlife office, and this was done. The dead crow was hung on the highest point of the headframe. Guess what? They all disappeared after that! Wouldn't have believe that if I hadn't seen it. So, each year, this company gets a permit to kill one of the crows/buzzards, and then hangs it from the headframe. No more birds.
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 10:52:38 AM »

I'd never heard of it , but Googling for an answer turned up a group discussion from 1998 . Best ides seems to be putting loose-fitting sleeves of pvc pipe or garden hose on your elements  and boom. When birds land on these , they rotate, thus making the bird wanna go elsewhere .The entire discussion's available at the link below.

Russ, W5RB

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.amateur.antenna/browse_frm/thread/aafe66bee6e9ad8f/16a3829bfd814946%2316a3829bfd814946
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 01:42:13 PM »

You need a good tower cat. Look around the anamial shelters for one with a leather belt and a hardhat.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 02:31:56 PM »

Gee, I can't believe nobody mentioned this one:  A good coating of antenna wax.  Hand-buffed using a high quality wax.

The birds won't be able to grip the wire, and most don't like hanging upside down.   Smiley

Lots luck with the birds,

Bill
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 05:06:18 PM »

RF grease works too.

Plus it helps your signal.
K6IOU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006, 06:18:44 PM »

Jeez . . . I don't know. The suggestion from K7YF is a good one and would work . . . but . . . .

Quote: "One day, we had some contractors on site. One of the laborors from Cuba said to kill one, and then hang it from the highest point".

Tough to find volunteers. The contractor's union would probably object also. If discovered, you might end up doing some serious jail time.

BTW, I've dealt with some contractors who I would gladly volunteer for the job. <g>

DON
K6IOU
NS6Y_

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2006, 11:29:26 PM »

Feinwerkbau 300-S
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 06:04:02 AM »

Here are two products that will discourage birds: Roost-No-More and Bird Tanglefoot. Both are available from any GOOD electrical supply house like Graybar or Rexel.

These products are sticky, gooey, and contain pepper extracts. They work very well, if you can put up with the mess they make when you have to work on the antenna.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: