Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TH-F6A as a police scanner?  (Read 865 times)
KE7FHL

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2006, 09:05:52 PM »

Newbie here!
  Am I reading the brochure correct.  The Kenwood TH-F6A (and other HT's)have the capability to act as a scanner too?
  Thanks for your time!
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 10:21:11 PM »

The answer is a definite "maybe."  The "DC-to-light" H-T's are prone to intermod interference, which may compromise reception in the Public Service bands.
    In addition, receiver sensitivity and performance of any Amateur Radio receiver is only guaranteed within the Amateur Radio bands, so it may not perform as well as you would wish.
NS6Y_

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 12:56:17 AM »

yes they have "scan" functions, but my understanding is scanners and ham radios work in very different ways..... scanners work in "banks" and you can switch "banks" in and out, these HT's have a scan mode that's more like, scanning through the band and stopping when they hear a signal. You can set up a scanner to scan preset memories say, all the police freqs in your town, I'm not sure if the ham stuff can do that so well, if it can at all.

That being said, the quality of ham stuff is very high, since it has to be good enough to transmit with too. Listening to "utility" stuff on a ham rig is great.

And if you don't have your license, it might be a good inspiration to get yours once you handle some ham gear and listen to some of the neat people and tech discussions on the ham freqs.
K6HH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 02:31:10 AM »

The TH-F6A can act like a normal FM analog non-trunking scanner. It can scan a frequency range, one bank, multiple banks, or all banks. Weaknesses include slower scan speed (10 channels per second compared to 100 for some scanners) and lack of trunking and digital support if that's important to you. I don't know how the IMD compares to a similar sized handheld scanner; it's certainly noticeably worse than a full size scanner such as a BC898T as one might expect.

User manual available from the Kenwood web site.

-Steve
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 04:07:21 AM »

Steve said pretty much everything I would have.  I've used my Icom-2100 as a scanner before, and it's done fine.  I didn't put TOO much in it (fired, police, EMS) really due to the slowed scan speed compared to my regular scanner.  Plus, while I'm hearing say a police report, I'm missing possible repeater traffic - whether that's good or bad depends on the repeaters involved, I guess Wink
N4HRA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 04:44:01 AM »

I have local police freq in memory, I use the "A" ban to monitor the repeater and the "B" band to Scan my Memory freq. THe scan will stop on any active memory freq, but it does what I want to do.
N5LXI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 09:25:30 PM »

The TH-F6A scanning features are not as good as other HT's, for example the Yaesu VX-6. The Kendwood wants to scan a "block" where the VX-2 and VX-6 have 20 banks and you can specify ANY memory location to be assigned to that scan bank.

That said, the FH-6A works fine to scan with, especially with the two receivers. It works the best of any HT on AM broadcast, due to built-in loop antenna.

joel / N5LXI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: