Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ok to call cq & asking for a specific language  (Read 208 times)
KD5FOY

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2006, 03:27:11 PM »

Is it ok to call cq and request that the answering station answer in only specific language? i don't
see any problems, your thoughts please.

larry
kd5foy
N3UMH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 03:39:33 PM »

Sure, it's not different than calling CQ DX or CQ Deleware or whatever.

If you want to practice some language you know go ahead and call CQ German Language or whatever.  If you call CQ as much as you can in the language: "CQ en EspaƱol" for example, then you'll just get responses from speakers of that language, generally.

I've made a handful of contacts in Spanish myself, though I've generally answered CQ's in those cases.

Dan
N3OX
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 06:19:51 PM »

No problem; you can use any language you wish;  but remember that FCC rules require your ID be in English, not any other language.  Or rather, you can ID in a foreign language as long as you ALSO ID in English.
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 06:33:04 PM »

Esto es, Alpha Echo 7 Gulf, Argentina Ecuador Siete Guatamala, C Q (Say Coo).
bn 73
Bob
WD8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 01:21:12 PM »

If you are talking to a station that speaks the language you wish to speak say a few words in that language. They will come back in that language if they know it. It is very common for a Dx station to talk to countries that speak his language in his language and go back to English for the next contact. Don WD8PTB
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 09:06:48 AM »

You can do it on CW also.  "CQ -..---", with your beam pointed to Japan, will generally get you fixed up with a memorable QSO - but be warned, they use a different code for these contacts.  In this system, called "WABUN", each sound pattern represents a SYLLABLE rather than just a letter.  Much more efficient:  the word "sayonara", written out like that, has eight letters and therefore requires eight sound patterns.  In WABUN, this four-SYLLABLE word only requires FOUR sound patterns.  SA (-.-.-), YO
(--), NA (.-.), and RA (...).

Then there's the vocabulary... ;-)

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: