Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removal & Cleanup of Coax Seal?  (Read 229 times)
N5MZL

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2006, 07:37:26 AM »

I have a Radioworks Carolina Windom that I used for about a year, and when it went up, I used Coax Seal on the PL259 connections on both the vertical element connections and the feedline to the shack.

I have since replaced the Windom with another antenna, and am looking to sell it on eBay.  However, the Coax Seal is a major pain to get off, and I'm wondering if there is any quick method for removing the stuff from the PL259s, baluns and so forth.

Thanks and 73
VE3XDB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 07:54:49 AM »

A tweezers is the best method I know.  It is a pain.  For future reference, I always apply cheap electrical tape to any connection before using coax seal.  Makes removal and clean up very easy.

Regards,

Doug VE3XDB
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 10:05:40 AM »

I've had good results by wadding a clump of it up and then quickly sticking it on the connector and pulling it away rapidly.  I've been able to nearly lift all of it off all types of connectors.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 12:39:09 PM »

I have never found a "quick" method. I long ago gave up the stuff because it's a pain to mess with and isn't better than the method I have been using for the past several years.

I use Scotch 33 electrical tape and put two layers over the connection and then spray (or brush on) several coats of PlastiDip. I have coax joints that were done that way several years ago and get water and snow covered with no problems. The connection to my High Sierra motorized antenna is done that way and it has survived rain spray, road salt, snow spray and is still waterproof.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N3EF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 01:22:07 PM »

Never used that stuff so can't answer your question but for future reference, here's the method I have used for many years. Put a layer of 3M 2242 rubber tape on sticky side out. Stretch it on good and tight. Then a layer of scotch 33 vinyl tape and then a couple coats of scotchkote electrical coating (home depot). This will last for years and you just simply slit it lengthwise with a utility knife and peel it off and the connection will look like the day you installed it. The rubber tape conforms so well, you can read any writing from the connectors impressed into the rubber (in reverse) when you remove it.

Eric N3EF
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 03:17:04 PM »

In the future, use liquid electrical tape or Plasti-Dip (both available from Home Depot and other places).  Peels off easily when you need to remove it.

Phil - AD5X
M0JHA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 03:44:36 AM »

hello,
      liquid latex rubber painted on is also good and easy to get off. just make sure all surfaces are clean and dry first
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 11:47:47 AM »

You will just have to scrape it off with a knife or dull blade.  Once you get most of it off as I recall, I think coax seal can be disolved with mineral spirits.   Moisten a rag and clean the remainder off.

I too use the electrical tape, coax-seal, electrical tape method.  Connections stay spotless and dry for years.

73, bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: