Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ic- 706 MKII Power problem  (Read 216 times)
W7TMD

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2006, 12:14:46 PM »

Hello,
   I have just purchased a used Icom 706MKII and While testing all the modes and functions I found that on Am when I key the mic the power will jump up to full out put 100 watts and then settle back down to the normal setting after a second.It doesent do this all the time but it does happen on all the setting's from 2 to 40 watts and I dont think it jumps to exactly a 100 watts it looks speratic maybe 60 or 75 watts and then settles down to what ever wattage I have it set to.
  My RMS meter's dont even detect it but I can see it on the Icom meter.All the other modes seem to work fine FM SSB CW.So its realy not a big deal but I would like to know if this problem is common or if this might be the beginning of a bigger problem and  if there is a quick fix for this.
  Thanks for any Help on the subject.
Tom
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 01:07:22 PM »

the Ic 706 meter has been documented as worse than bad. it reads weird when warm, cold and sometimes other wise too.

it may be a spike that the meter is responding to, some rigs put out a full power transient on initial keying. I had a ic 746 take out a 6 meter amp . it was looking for no more than 10 watts and the spike  blew the input circuit.

W7TMD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 11:36:18 PM »

is there a fix for this i dont want to ruin an amp?
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 02:12:35 AM »

I would check it with a good peak reading external meter. Also, 706's have a peak / avg setting in the menu...
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 11:10:14 AM »

Use a good external meter.  There have been extensive discussions here in the past about how the 706 meters are NOT precision readout.  Seems like I recall something about time sharing a microprocessor.  Use the search function to find related posts in this forum.

I'm not clear what AM power output you are expecting.  My manual shows 2 -40W HF, 2-20W VHF, and 2-8W UHF.

Bill
W7TMD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 10:09:52 PM »

Iam excpecting normal output.The problem is that the power momentarily spikes at full output even when the power level is set real low.It also does it on RTTY.
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 11:43:30 AM »

Type: "icom 706 output spike" into Google.  Quite a bit has been written about this phenomenon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: