Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comet CHA-250B - The Inside Story  (Read 5677 times)
KG4RUL

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2008, 05:20:37 AM »

I was reading the reviews for this antenna and found the post by Iain VK5ZDB.  He had actually disassembled the "matching network" on the antenna.  Contrary to popular myth, he found that it is an elaborately constructed balun, NOT a "dummy load"!!!

Here are the results of his investigation, an interesting read:  http://www.vk5zdb.com/cha250bxii.pdf
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 07:27:36 AM »

The net effect is the same - just like the "matching network" inside the MAX-COMM "tuner" upon which this antenna (and its Diamond clone) appear to be based.

The majority of the power is lost in heat and not radiated as RF.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 08:01:39 AM »

Not sure what to make of the results.  The test indicates 5 to 7 dB loss (varying with frequency) when terminated in a 50 Ohm load, but the actual load impedance will be all over the place, and without radials it's still half an antenna.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:04:30 PM »

See my comments in TowerTalk forum but consider that the matching network enclosure, which appears to have a  larger surface area than a hundred watt light bulb, needs heat sink fins for an antenna rated 125W CW.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 03:22:48 PM »

Dan, those big fins tell the story about where all the RF energy is going - heat. Seems like many these days are trying find the magic antenna that will radiate a big signal on all bands from a very small size - often from the deck or attic. There will always be someone claiming to have just such an antenna for sale :-)
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 07:04:35 AM »

<< There will always be someone claiming to have just such an antenna for sale :-) >>

And there's a sucker born every minute to just dying buy it! <g>

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
TF3JB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 01:17:48 PM »

I met a ham down in Germany in November of las year. He was very angry at the amateur radio dealer who had sold this antenna to him, for not accepting to take back (in his own words): "...this "dummy-load" of an antenna". I think there is a limit to what dealers should agree to put on the market. When the experience is as bad as with this product, it will simply be to the benefit of all (including the dealers) to pull this off the market. Of course the factory should also realize that it will make a bad name for itself - not only for this product - but for all other products which could very well be good performers...

73 de TF2JB.

KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 10:17:41 PM »

They are now advertising a "NEW" model. I wonder what part of it is upgraded?
Frank
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 03:35:27 PM »

"I wonder what part of it is upgraded? "

Epoxy encapsulation so it's harder to open?

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
NR9R

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 02:58:41 PM »

When attempting to transmit on a nonresonant antenna there are two ways one can accomplish it.  First, you can build a matching network to cancel out the reactive components and bring the feedpoint closer to 50 ohms.  Second, you can build a broad band transformer or terminating resistor that will absorb the reflected wave by converting it into heat.  

I personally don't see anything wrong with companies selling broad banded antennas such as the B&W broadbanded folded dipole or the Comet antenna which use the later approach.  Since HAM radio is a technical hobby, it is important for HAMs to be educated enough to know the pros and cons of such a vital component of the station.  Just like reduced antenna size will compromise performance, so too will such a broad banded impedence transformer.

I'm sure there is a unique set of circumstances where this antenna would be a great choice over other options.  I can't think of any at the moment though.

Anthony        

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 05:20:16 PM »

<< Since HAM radio is a technical hobby, it is important for HAMs to be educated enough to know the pros and cons of such a vital component of the station.>>

The problem is, the vast majority of hams (the word is not an acronym, so it's unnecessary to put it in all caps) licensed in the last 10 years are NOT technical-minded. They actually believe the advertising hype from the manufacturers because they don't have a clue how to tell fact from fiction. Just look at the number of Extra class hams posting on eHam asking for help to make a dipole or solder on a PL-259. Sad

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 05:36:51 PM »

I have a CometCha250 I am not ashamed lol. I needed a balcony vertical. I have been working with this end fed hertz and the torroid broad band 6:1 transformer.ironically enough not on a balcony but in an open pasteur anyway It exhibits loss to the vertical connection that varies with impedance. 20m has been a better experience with it anyway either rf will find the sheilding of the coaxial cable as a best path /to mostly circulating within the interior dissipating as heat so in essence the real answer is how much remains is "IT Depends" on the frequency injected into it and the associated Rr loss".in conjunction with the base height(I think they new the sheilding half of the circuit needed to be as long and straight away as possible offset by recommending an rf choke "talk about a contradiction conflict of feild strength issues lol." The measurements of which appears to be rather dissapointing. However The work I have been doing involves an elevated radial system to help improve the feild strength. Emperically the challenge at least for me is in designing a radial system that is optimal or nearly so, and attempting to measure any feild strength improvements. Personally I enjoy the challenge. My theory is that rf can be diverted before entering the 6:1 pressed onto the radial set, Therby improving the feild strength by re combining outside the feed point container in the near feild adding to the radiation. This is not meant to mean that the vertical radon is contributing more because that half of the antenna remains unchanged lossy depends etc But the radial set when tuned can be optimal contribution equalling perhaps a 3/4 of a whole antenna. radials for this antenna make sense.
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 05:50:15 PM »

I did not purchase the antenna..hehe
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 06:55:39 AM »

......and if you have one of these antennas you can work almost anyone you hear. I'm still waiting for someone to buy my Light bulb antenna. Honest for certain situations its a winner.

73 de Lindy
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 12:47:30 PM »

That sounds like a brilliant idea!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: