Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Satellite dish made into ham antenna?  (Read 4382 times)
KENNETH

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2005, 01:12:13 PM »

Since a satellite dish is approved (federal law) has anyone seen a dummy satellite dish turned into a ham antenna. For example, maybe someone has mounted the coil in the center of the dish and wrapped the radial wire in corkscrew direction along the main dish, spiraling out? Any dummy dish ham antenna links are appreciated.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 11:28:04 AM »

Haven't actually seen this, but there was an article on here somewhere not long ago that provided another idea for the "Federally preempted satellite dish" antennas; that was, use the dish as the terminating point for a radiating wire antenna.  Thus, the "feedline" becomes the actual antenna, and the "dish" is nothing more than a piece to hold up the end of the wire.

If you can make the line long enough, e.g., place the dish 100' away from your shack and use a long line to feed it, and make the line radiate, you'll have an outdoor wire antenna that looks like the standard coax used to feed the dish.

Not a bad idea.  This idea doesn't necessarily overcome the problems of radiated interference due to close proximity (or received noise due to the same issue), but does provide for getting some wire outside to do the radiating, without alerting snoopy neighbors, landlords or HOAs that you're doing anything unusual.

WB2WIK/6
WA6BFH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 05:35:44 PM »

How about merely using it on the Ham microwave bands?

There it will have true gain, and not be some glorified dummy load!
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 06:41:44 PM »

Not dummy usage -- just the "real thing"
http://www.ultimatecharger.com/dish.html

gb
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 01:32:24 AM »

We are talking about a situation where a 2' dish is going to be objected too!  Why would we need info on 14' dish conversions?Huh

Dennis KG4RUL
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 07:44:44 AM »

"Since a satellite dish is approved (federal law)"

I lived in a couple of apartment complexes where satellite dishes were forbidden, regardless of federal laws.  If you rent, you are pretty much at the mercy of those you rent from.
WB2IVU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 02:46:04 PM »

Here is something simple... I used the rain gutters for my HF antenna. They worked great with the help of an antenna tuner I was able to load 80 - 10m. I connected each section of gutter with #8 wire painted to match the trim. I fed one of the down-spouts, closest to the "shack" and use a grounding rod for the antenna ground. 100 watts did not bother anything within the house and I never had a complaint. I even had call letter license plates on my car.

Of course if you have plastic gutters this will not work, but you can run #12 wire along them and paint the exposed portion  of the wire to match the house/trim..

For 2/440 I used a Ventenna... that worked great too..

Keep it simple, no need to reinvent the wheel..
DWEISS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 12:56:04 AM »

...provided another idea for the "Federally preempted satellite dish" antennas; that was, use the dish as the terminating point for a radiating wire antenna. Thus, the "feedline" becomes the actual antenna, and the "dish" is nothing more than a piece to hold up the end of the wire. .....

This dish exclusion has a lot of potential -- maybe I need to have two small satellite dishes, strategically placed of course, with the result that the feed line to my two dishes just happens to work out to be the correct length for a nice dipole!
WA7KGX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 11:56:34 AM »

Mount the dish on insulators on a pole some distance from the house.  String the coax to the house, and make an RF choke that is out of sight.  It may be possible to watch TV and run modest power at the same time.

By RF choke I mean a number of turns around a 6 inch plastic pipe etc..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: