Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gray krinkle paint  (Read 841 times)
W8QP

Ignore
« on: July 04, 2006, 07:10:13 AM »

I need to repaint some vintage Heath equipment.  Does anyone have a source?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 07:41:28 AM »

Some of the auto stores (Pep Boys for example) have grey crinkle pain. I don't know if it matches Heath.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 08:06:05 AM »

Lowes, Home Depot and so forth all have crinkle paints. Whether or not any of them are a match for the Heath grey is another matter.

Unless you are doing a restoration to "as new", the actual color probably isn't all that important if all you want to do is make the case look better.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 08:25:25 AM »

A paint shop that specializes in auto paints can mix an exact color match and make it a crinkle type.

Long ago fellows would create a crinkle finish from regular paint by pre-heating the part in an oven and then spray a heavy coat of paint.  The heat would cause the paint to dry more rapidly, while the part contracted as it cooled, causing a crinkle.  Articles in QST and CQ from the 1970's and early 1980's showed this tecnique.

Good luck.

Bill
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 09:12:21 AM »

Courtesy of Glenn Zook, K9STH

"This is for the gray that Heath used on the DX-20, DX-35, DX-40, and many of the small accessory boxes (like the CA-1, AM-2, QF-1, etc.). Also, a portion of the DX-100 cabinet was painted with this paint.

This formula works for the latex enamel and for the latex acryllic. I understand that Sherwin-Williams can work from it for other types of paint. I use satin finish which come out VERY close to the original finish. The forumula is for one quart of the latex enamel.

Deep Base 6405-13974

Colorant oz 32 64 128

B1 Black - 24 - - N1 Raw Umber - 40 - - R3 Magenta - 3 - -

If you wish a higher gloss finish, then I suggest overspraying with Crystal Clear Krylon. DO NOT use Rustoleum, etc. Those "clear" sprays actually have a yellow tint and do NOT work well at all! I learned that the "hard" way!

For a crackle finish, I use Rusteoleum American Accents Stone Creations. The gray version works the best. It seems that each color has a slightly different texture. You need to practice a little before using this paint. However, with practice you can get a very good crackle finish. Frankly, I have not had consistant results with the various crackle (or wrinkle) paint sold at automobile supply stores, etc. Those haven't be uniform, or don't repeat well.

In fact, on the crystal door covers that I make for the DX-35 and DX-40 units, I have sprayed 9 doors at the same time (same temperature, same conditions, etc.). Out of the 9, maybe 2 or 3 come out OK. The rest have varying crackle and even crackle on just part of the door! Since the doors have just a little over 10 square inches of surface one would expect much better quality from the paint!

Thus, since I have not had any good crackle paint since Illinois Bronze stopped making it quite a number of years ago (probably due to OSHA and EPA requirements from the chemicals used to produce the crackle), I had to find something that works every time! "
SSB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 10:04:42 AM »

For many years I tried to texture and regular paint project and home brew equipment.  Besides putting up with dirt and bugs that always get into the finish before it dried, my lungs have more paint mist in them than I need.  I gave up painting myself.  I found a local painting company that did custom work.  For a minimum of about $100, they would paint 5 to 10 items and they looked alot better than I could ever do it myself.  Their prices sound high but if you paint a few at a time, it really is cheaper than doing it your self.  The high initial price is really for the setup.  Once paid, each additional item gets real cheap.
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 12:42:02 PM »

Many, many, many moons ago, when I
had only been a ham for 4 years, I
was a Corporal* and company clerk for
a BCT company at Fort Jackson, SC.  One
day the Old Man, whilst on the way outta
the orderly room to go to the
golf course, told me take a field safe to the
post locksmith to be opened and
recomboed.

Well, the locksmith drills it in
just the right spot,
opens it and sets the default combination.
Then he put some stuff in to plug the hole,
gets out a can of OD spray paint and
paints the area, then picks up some
sand from the ground (Jackson is a sandy
place), sprinkles it on the wet paint and
hits it with another coat.

I say, "What's the sand for?" and he says, "To get
the crinkle finish."

So now all y'all know how to get a crinkle finish.

73 de Ronnie

* This a a bit after Christ was a Corporal.

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 01:23:26 PM »

This may be exactly what you want:

http://www.eham.net/forums/BoatAnchors/2187?page=2

Dennis KG4RUL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: