Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microphone  (Read 352 times)
K3PRN

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2006, 10:49:18 AM »

Good desk microphone for my Kenwood under $100
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 11:13:54 AM »

No need to post twice!

Get a used Kenwood MC-60.  They usually sell in the $50-$100 range.
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 11:52:42 AM »

I too was thinking MC-60.

W5GA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 01:20:18 PM »

Was there a question here, or did I miss something?
HAMMERTIME

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 03:02:19 PM »

Yes, you missed something!
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 04:26:41 PM »

the ? mark?
W4TME

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 07:14:18 PM »

And the "What is a"
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 08:43:11 PM »

Might depend upon which model Kenwood and what mode.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 08:20:57 AM »

Maybe he spends all his time text messaging and has forgotten how to compose a real sentence. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 09:56:17 AM »

Still thrying to figure where he got a less than $100 Kenwood <g>!

SSB (or AM?) I assume, vs. FM?
DX/weak signal work or ragchewing w/ generally good signal?

W8VVE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 10:53:39 AM »

I don't think you should put a $$ limit on your mic purchase.  If you purchase a good quality mic it can be used for many diff rigs and for many years.  Thus, I am partial to the Heil mics...like the HM-10 dual that lets you switch between the dx and rag chewing element(s).  New they run just over $100 and you will also need a cable to match the brand of rig you use.  Like some others have mentioned...I am not a fan of the MC-60...but it looks nice doesn't it?  If you got a new rig it had a hand mic with it...those work well.  FYI...I use a Heil HM-10 dual with my Kenwoods. 73...Sam W8VVE
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 04:45:29 PM »

Don,

Back to your original question ...

If you are talking about a Kenwood HF rig, I would not buy a desk mike at all. Good communications dictate a tight mike-to-mouth distance - no more than three inches. About the only way to achieve this with a desk mike is to either lean into it or pick it up. Leaning in is bad for the back, and most desk mikes are too heavy to hold comfortably.

That leaves three options:

(1) a mike on an overhead boom
(2) a mike on a headset
(3) the original hand mike.

Kenwood's hand mikes are hard to beat and mine is my backup mike.

The overhead boom lets you pick a variety of mikes and Bob Heil makes some excellent ones. If you know whnat you are doing, there are also excellent professional mikes that are available used at reasonable prices.

My personal preference is Heil's ProSet with the ragchew element. The sound quality is excellent; it is very comfortable for long peiods of use; you can keep the mike gain down and eliminate background noises; using headphones is the best way to eliminate distractions in the shack and keep the sound where it belongs - in your ears and not all over the rest of the house. Smiley

If you are talking about a VHF/UHF FM rig, it is harder to match an after market mike; just keep the supplied hand mike.

If you want to drop by and try out what I use, drop me a note. My email address is in my profile and I live two blocks south of the Inner Harbor.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 04:45:56 PM »

Don,

Back to your original question ...

If you are talking about a Kenwood HF rig, I would not buy a desk mike at all. Good communications dictate a tight mike-to-mouth distance - no more than three inches. About the only way to achieve this with a desk mike is to either lean into it or pick it up. Leaning in is bad for the back, and most desk mikes are too heavy to hold comfortably.

That leaves three options:

(1) a mike on an overhead boom
(2) a mike on a headset
(3) the original hand mike.

Kenwood's hand mikes are hard to beat and mine is my backup mike.

The overhead boom lets you pick a variety of mikes and Bob Heil makes some excellent ones. If you know whnat you are doing, there are also excellent professional mikes that are available used at reasonable prices.

My personal preference is Heil's ProSet with the ragchew element. The sound quality is excellent; it is very comfortable for long peiods of use; you can keep the mike gain down and eliminate background noises; using headphones is the best way to eliminate distractions in the shack and keep the sound where it belongs - in your ears and not all over the rest of the house. Smiley

If you are talking about a VHF/UHF FM rig, it is harder to match an after market mike; just keep the supplied hand mike.

If you want to drop by and try out what I use, drop me a note. My email address is in my profile and I live two blocks south of the Inner Harbor.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 12:34:10 PM »

go to the Heil site, then find one on the EBAY..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: