Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cross-Band Repeater Station Identification  (Read 309 times)
KI4NWE

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2006, 07:47:35 PM »

Say I have a cross-band repeater set up fo 70cm to my HT and 2 meter to the rest of the world or a local repeater. When I transmit my station ID, the 2 meter side is identifying itself per the rules. There is no way that the 70 cm transmission from the cross-band radio can ID itself without some special capability or add-on. I have a Kenwood TN-D700A and a Yaesu FT-8800, both capable of cross-band repeating but the function is no good unless I can cause the radio to ID itself when transmitting on the 70 cm side. How do I do it? The first time I really tried cross-band I got a Official Observer Advisory Notice concerning this problem. Please help...looks like I spent a lot of extra money for functions I can't use.

By the way, Several long time hams have told me that if the radio is secure (locked in my vehicle) and I fullfill the intenet of the rule (ID every ten and at the end) that I am operating legally.  

Is that true?  
Thanks,
KI4NWE
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 08:05:45 PM »

Seems a sticky one for sure.

Can the other radio be keyed manually when in crossband repeat mode?  If so, it would be a pretty easy circuit plugged into the mic jack to make a CW or recorded voice ID on 440 every 10 minutes.  

If the timing would work out, and you'd probably have to tell the station on the 2m side that you were going to do it and let the repeater drop (if that's what you were accessing ) there's another way I can think of. When it comes time to ID, transmit on 440 "KI4NWE crossband repeat" and then SWITCH to 2m and transmit ANOTHER ID... "KI4NWE crossband repeat"

Now you've caused the repeater radio to emit your callsign on both 2m and 440 and anyone who has heard the repeater radio on 440 knows you're running it.  Of course, you've got to get a clear time on 2m to do it.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KI4NWE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 08:19:56 PM »

Thanks Dan,
Looking at other threads on this subject, it looks like the best way for me to handle this is:
1- Use tone between the CBR and the HT to prevent false transmissions out of the mobile on 2M, that way you would not have to ID every 10 during idle because you are not triggering CBR to transmit. No transmit..no ID required.
2- ID on 70cm every 10 during traffic and at end of transmission and...
3- Every ten or at the end of traffic, switch HT over to the 2M side of the CBR and give ID which would transmit on the 70cm side fulfilling requirement.
4- Be within 3 minutes of the rig and respond to any unidentified signal that opens the tone in HT indicating that the CBR is transmitting.
Any holes in this plan?
Thanks,
KI4NWE
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 09:00:00 PM »

Sounds okay to me... hey, I wonder if you should ask the OO who sent you the notice for advice as a good-faith gesture.

Might be a way to go since he's probably the one who's going to hear you next time :-)

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 05:54:57 AM »

What if you get the guy on the 2M end to ID your 440 link for you? He could Id something like "this is AA4PB via the KI4NWE 440 link".
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 09:02:13 AM »

Definitely contact the OO to ask his advice.  I'm sure he would be tickled to help you out!

73, Bill.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 07:33:53 PM »

I have 5 or 6 radios that will cross band repeat. for some reason I have never found a use for it.

I understand when they were in the search for the scattered parts of the shuttle Columbia across Texas, the would put the car on a small rise ( in basically flat land) and then the folks with ht's would contact the the car which would cross band repeat into the distant HQ or repeater, they were so far out there was no other coverage.

other than that I never saw a use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: